Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Open carrier stopped in West Norriton and Norristown

Is this a lawsuit?

http://www.timesherald.com/general-n...oned-by-police

NORRISTOWN — West Norriton police received a call from a 19-year-old man on July 20 inquiring about Pennsylvania gun laws. The man said that he was planning to visit a friend in Norristown and wanted to openly carry his shotgun slung over his back for protection. The caller was informed that he could legally do so as long as he was over 18, legally owned the gun and hadn’t been convicted of a felony. The caller was also warned repeatedly that carrying the gun while walking the streets was not in his best interest because of the probability that it would cause panic. After the call, other units and Norristown police were contacted regarding the caller’s inquiry.

At 6:30 p.m., West Norriton police responded to the first block of Prospect Avenue for the report of a man with a gun. A passerby pointed officers in the direction of a man walking down the street, wearing a bulletproof vest with a shotgun slung over his shoulder. It was the same man who had called the station earlier.

Police told the man to put the gun down and he complied. Police cleared the weapon, which was loaded, and asked the man why he was carrying the gun. The man told the officers he was carrying the gun because it was his right. Police suggested he consider “more positive ways of getting attention,” gave him back the gun and ammunition, and allowed him to go on his way.

At 6:45 a.m. July 21, Norristown police responded to reports of a man walking along Forrest Avenue carrying a rifle.

Officers detained the same man at gunpoint and took possession of his Winchester 20 gauge pistol grip sawed off shotgun. The man complained to police that it was legal for him to carry the firearm on the street. When police told the man that his actions were scaring people, he replied, “this is not Nazi Germany.”

During the conversation with police, the man repeatedly asserted his legal right to carry and kept informing them of the legal specifications of his shotgun, while officers attempted to explain to him that he was inciting public fear.

Officers told the man he was exhibiting attention seeking behavior, and succeeded in getting their attention.

With the conversation at an impasse, police determined that the man was not “in a right mental frame of mind to be walking the streets with a loaded shotgun.” The shotgun was confiscated “for (the man’s) safety and that of the public”, and placed into evidence for safe keeping. When informed that he could retrieve the gun later at the station, the man replied, “that’s not fair.”

Upon learning of the weapon’s confiscation, West Norriton police ran the man’s criminal history, which revealed a juvenile arrest in 2009 for terroristic threats and possession of instruments of crime.

The man contacted West Norriton police again that evening in an attempt to retrieve the firearm. A detective referred him to Norristown police and advised him that the general public would perceive anybody — other than law enforcement — openly carrying a gun as a threat. He was told that although his actions were legal, he could incite hysteria, as the people he encountered would be unaware of his intentions. He was further advised that having to investigate reports such as this diverted resources that could be used for criminal investigations. He was encouraged to find alternative methods to exercise his rights.

The man said he understood the position of the police, didn’t intend any harm, and would not continue to openly carry weapons.

In a supplemental report filed around 12:30 p.m. July 21, a woman called the West Norriton police station informing police that she and her children were in fear of a pedestrian they had seen the previous evening walking in the area with a shotgun. She asked if authorities had caught him. A detective explained the situation to her. She told the detective that her father was a police officer and sharpshooter, so “she gets it”, but it doesn’t change the fact that the man caused “extreme panic.”
    Hafa Adai! IANAL I merely state my opinion. If I am wrong, please correct me.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Open carrier stopped in West Norriton and Norristown

Sawed off shotgun huh?

I hope he got his stuff back since he didn't do anything illegal at all.

(Delaware County)

I think walking in public like that with a bullet proof vest on is kind of over the top, stupid , calls negative attention to our cause and completely legal.

IMO, I think the first stop was legal from what we can tell. Seems he complied on his own with the police. Which he didn't have tondo, but sounds like he made that choice. The second stop however, was out of line. What if I heard a revving engine of one of those new corvettes and became scared that the guy might run me over? Would they confiscate his car? I do t care that someone is uncomfortable or scared. The correct response would be for the police to inform the uncomfortable person that a citizen carrying a gun is his right. And in fact, their right as well. And if they want to ask him his intentions, and he is inclined to answer , then that's the extent of their responsibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I blame New Jersey for putting itself above the Constitution

(York County)

Isn't it a cops job to enforce the law? No law was being broken here. Until the cops took his gun.

Is Norristown that bad of a town that someone would need a bulletproof vest?

Also, moron..you wear it UNDER your shirt. You name is not Rambo.

Unless you want the attention like you received, you want to look like this:

Not this:

Or this:

Or this:

If you look like this, you get away with whatever you want:

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by DoverDad View Post
    Is Norristown that bad of a town that someone would need a bulletproof vest?
    If the police wear them, why not a citizen?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If the police wear them, why not a citizen?
    Hey, I do want a Crown Vic Interceptor myself...

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by BenP View Post
    Is this a lawsuit?

http://www.timesherald.com/general-n...oned-by-police

At 6:45 a.m. July 21, Norristown police responded to reports of a man walking along Forrest Avenue carrying a rifle.

Officers detained the same man at gunpoint and took possession of his Winchester 20 gauge pistol grip sawed off shotgun. The man complained to police that it was legal for him to carry the firearm on the street. When police told the man that his actions were scaring people, he replied, “this is not Nazi Germany.”

During the conversation with police, the man repeatedly asserted his legal right to carry and kept informing them of the legal specifications of his shotgun, while officers attempted to explain to him that he was inciting public fear.

Officers told the man he was exhibiting attention seeking behavior, and succeeded in getting their attention.

With the conversation at an impasse, police determined that the man was not “in a right mental frame of mind to be walking the streets with a loaded shotgun.” The shotgun was confiscated “for (the man’s) safety and that of the public”, and placed into evidence for safe keeping. When informed that he could retrieve the gun later at the station, the man replied, “that’s not fair.”

Upon learning of the weapon’s confiscation, West Norriton police ran the man’s criminal history, which revealed a juvenile arrest in 2009 for terroristic threats and possession of instruments of crime.

On the 2nd encounter, the LEOs are all pissed, because this person defied their orders to not carry it.

So they take the gun to show him who is the boss. He then complains and probably threatens a lawsuit, so they start telling him how mentally unstable he must be.

After getting back to the office, they check him out even more... then claim they took a gun away from a criminal.

I'm sure this person doesn't have a ton of money to file a suit, but they should at least file LEO complaints against the officers.

Looks like the PD needs some training. Assholes.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gooseSA40 View Post
    On the 2nd encounter, the LEOs are all pissed, because this person defied their orders to not carry it.

So they take the gun to show him who is the boss. He then complains and probably threatens a lawsuit, so they start telling him how mentally unstable he must be.

After getting back to the office, they check him out even more... then claim they took a gun away from a criminal.

I'm sure this person doesn't have a ton of money to file a suit, but they should at least file LEO complaints against the officers.
    By the context of the conversation they may have been able to discern a lot more than you can from this article.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast