Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Small Game near Pittsburgh

Hello All,

I have been hunting for almost 6 years now. The thing is, that I have always used by wife's Uncle's camp as my base of operations. The camp is located in Tionesta, PA and I am living in Pittsburgh... 4 months ago, my first child was born, and so for this year I doubt I will be able to travel to hunt as much as I would like to.

This has led me to consider some more local places that I can sneak out to for a day or morning without spending the night or taking a 2 hour drive each way... So far I have my sights set on the SGL 203 up in Wexford. What I am looking for is any advice about 203 for the small game season.

I have frequented the rifle and pistol ranges for the past couple of years so am familiar with the area, but have yet to take a walk through the woods out there and see whats up. This weekend I am thinking of taking the dog out for a walk to scout. Is it worth the time and effort? Looking primarily for squirrel and rabbits, maybe some grouse? If i see a pheasant I will shoot at it, but not specifically looking for them.

Is the game land crowded for small game? I know last year I saw a few people trekking up around the rifle range. Using Google maps i was able to see that there are a few fields up back there I would be interested in...

While on Google I noticed the size of the game land, not that big. Has anyone hunted with a .22 out there? Did you worry about missing shots and landing lead on a roadway or residential lot? I would prob be sticking to a shotgun anyway, but just in case I feel the need to snipe the squirrels...

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Small Game near Pittsburgh

I can't speak to 203 but 117 out on route 22 west is very large and doesn't see a lot of small game season hunting pressure.
    The Lord Bless You

(Lehigh County)

Ask Sidney Crosby about small game! He hasn't had a big game in a while! You can't beat us! You can't beat us!
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Allegheny County)

41 Redhawk,
    Thank you for the suggestion, I will have to see if I can check it out.

A-5,
    A little uncalled for... but I see where your going with this...

(Lehigh County)

Uncalled for come on that was genius. Hate the penns! But as for small game go up rt 28 and knock on doors plenty of places to go just get to knocking.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.