Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Can a business purchase a firearm?

Can a business purchase a pistol?

By this, I own a small business. However company money, outside of payroll, must be spent on things the company will own, use, or products it will sell. If I want to have a Smith & Wesson under the counter to protect my store or office and leave it there for employee of legal age to use in the event of let's say, a robbery, my name is the one run through NICS, but can the sale be in my company's name? Sorry if this sounds complicated. I'm honestly to trying to find a legit answer though.

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Can a business purchase a firearm?

I know businesses do purchase guns but I am not sure of the specific procedure. After I retired from my government job I worked in private corrections for a few years. The company was required by contract to have specific firearms per the emergency plans and as so they had a considerable number of them. However I can be of no help on the specifics of the purchase. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by saleen322; July 30th, 2014 at 06:42 AM.

For what purpose?

Yes, a business entity can own a firearm, or any other asset. That had been the basis of the corp/LLC/trust option for NFA firearms (before trusts were churned out at 60 times the previous rate, and ATF pushed back.)

Can your business deduct the cost of a firearm purchased for security? Probably, if you have a bona fide business purpose. askyo ur accountant.

Can you substitute your company name for your name as "the registered owner", and avoid PICS? Nope, not for a Title I firearm, because we don't have "registration" of Title I firearms in Pennsylvania, or the United States. We do for Title II (NFA) firearms, which is why the "registrant" can be an entity.

So, what specifically are you asking, and in what context?
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    For what purpose?

Yes, a business entity can own a firearm, or any other asset. That had been the basis of the corp/LLC/trust option for NFA firearms (before trusts were churned out at 60 times the previous rate, and ATF pushed back.)

Can your business deduct the cost of a firearm purchased for security? Probably, if you have a bona fide business purpose. askyo ur accountant.

Can you substitute your company name for your name as "the registered owner", and avoid PICS? Nope, not for a Title I firearm, because we don't have "registration" of Title I firearms in Pennsylvania, or the United States. We do for Title II (NFA) firearms, which is why the "registrant" can be an entity.

So, what specifically are you asking, and in what context?
    To be honest, I'm not even sure due to the business aspect. I have purchased and own personal firearms. And I have sold them from person to person via an FFL dealer. I guess I'm just trying to find out if my business can purchase a firearm for protection of property/goods to be used by any legally aged employee. Or is it simply me who purchases it and leaves it in the store/office being deemed company property by myself?

Quote Originally Posted by TGFW_LIMITED View Post
    To be honest, I'm not even sure due to the business aspect. I have purchased and own personal firearms. And I have sold them from person to person via an FFL dealer. I guess I'm just trying to find out if my business can purchase a firearm for protection of property/goods to be used by any legally aged employee. Or is it simply me who purchases it and leaves it in the store/office being deemed company property by myself?
    It sounds like what you're really asking is less about the business purchasing the gun, and more about "lending" it to any employee.

This statute deals with that, assuming that all other statutes are satisfied (for example, the employee can't be a prohibited person):

§ 6115. Loans on, or lending or giving firearms prohibited

(a) Offense defined.--No person shall make any loan secured by mortgage, deposit or pledge of a firearm, nor, except as provided in subsection (b), shall any person lend or give a firearm to another or otherwise deliver a firearm contrary to the provisions of this subchapter.
    (b) Exception.--
    (1) Subsection (a) shall not apply if any of the following apply:
    (i) The person who receives the firearm is licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109 (relating to licenses).
    (ii) . . . .
    (iii) . . . .
    (iv) . . . . .
    (v) . . .
    (vi) . . .
    (2) . . . .
    (3) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the loaning or giving of a firearm to another in one's dwelling or place of business if the firearm is retained within the dwelling or place of business.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lancaster County)

I think you are a little crazy to leave a gun handy for any person of legal age. Allowing your employees to carry is one thing, hopefully the ones that choose to train, but leaving access to a gun to untrained persons sounds like a problem waiting to happen.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Luzerne County)

what would be stopping an employee you thing you know having a friend come in and rob them of the gun? Its a bad idea... now if you allowed employees to have their own firearms thats another story. But that may be a whole other legality question.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by redturbo0 View Post
    what would be stopping an employee you thing you know having a friend come in and rob them of the gun? Its a bad idea... now if you allowed employees to have their own firearms thats another story. But that may be a whole other legality question.
    It really depends on the situation. If you have one employee that you know well and know to be adequately trained, it may not be a bad idea. If you have a staff of ever-revolving dumbasses it may be a terrible idea.

I am in the process of opening a scrap yard, and the scale manager will have access to an 870 behind the counter. For the most part, that person will be me, but when I put someone else behind the counter it will be someone who has a LTCF and is proficient with firearms. It is up to them if they use it if it is ever needed- in many armed robbery situations the best course of action is most often to buy your life with whatever is in the register.

(Luzerne County)

I'd assume a long gun is a different situation.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the input. The ATF finally got back to me after taking their sweet time. I have to be the one who purchases it due to the background check, but then I can list it as company property on my insurance and leave it in my store/office.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast