Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: What Is Ammo Hoarding?

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Very well put EM. You must be an ammosexual too.

By the way, I'm not a hoarder. I'm a collector.

Better'n being a metrosexual.

"Collector" - I like that. Yeah, like comic books.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lebanon County)

About 8-10 years ago I was telling my oldest son to buy a brick of .22 every payday. He didn't see the "need" for buying that much. (Guess where he's gotten some when he couldn't find it anywhere?) I knew it wouldn't be as plentiful and as cheap forever so I wanted to get some wile it was available and affordable. I didn't get as much as I wanted before it was suddenly gold plated but I didn't have to buy any while the price was outrageous X 2. It's still outrageous and I still have some on reserve but not as much as I would like.
    (I wish I would have hoarded when I could, I have 5 grandchildren).
    It's available again but not for <$10.00/500 like it was 10 years ago.
    I'll still occasionally buy a brick when I have an extra $45.00 but that's not too often. It'll never be as affordable as it was but it may never be as "plentiful" as it is now. (If you call it plentiful now). I actually do call it plentiful now, even though it's not disposable like it was 10 years ago. I can still get as much as I want IF I have the money to pay for it. I honestly don't expect that to be the case if the bleeding heart politicians get their way. They're loving the scarcity and skyrocketing price of ammo.
    As it is now, I have enough to teach my grandchildren to shoot and keep me satisfied for a little while but I don't have a hoard of ammo even though most media outlets would call 2 bricks of .22 LR a "hoard" or "cache" of ammunition and more than 2 guns an arsenal.
    To answer the question; I think hoarding is accumulating more ammo than you and your direct descendants could possibly use, and that's a whole bunch.
    If I had a hoard I wouldn't ration it when I go out for an afternoon of "hot lead therapy" but as it is I have enough fun to satisfy me but not as much nor as often as I did in the not too distant past. I can envision myself running out of ammo before I die, therefore I don't have a hoard of ammo, or if I do, it's not a big enough hoard.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Lancaster County)

How much practice, competing, hunting, etc. plus self defense use do you think you'd consume in 6 months' time, 2 years' time, 5 years, etc? Buying in bulk is a VERY useful tool for budgeting as well as protecting against future price increases: it helps my wife and I plan our monthly, quarterly, and yearly expenses when I buy for example 5K bullets and primers and 8 lb jugs of powder as an infrequent expense rather than smaller amounts here and there to duck and dodge and weave our weekly to monthly budgets through.

With last year's experience coupled with increase overall interest in shooting sports as we have seen, quite frankly it's stupid not to buy ahead as far as you can foresee and maybe even a little beyond that. It's called PAYING ATTENTION TO LESSONS LEARNED.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; July 27th, 2014 at 12:00 AM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Tioga County)

I have to come out of the closet and admit my ammosexuality.

I like collecting different types of ammo and trying them out on the range and of course have the reloading bug as well.

Hoarding to me is people that totally overdo it and have stuff around beyond what is sensible. When closets are exploding outwards, drawers cannot be closed, seats cannot be sat in, beds cannot be laid in, garages can't be used to park a car, you have too much crap. Time to clean out and organize.

(Lancaster County)

To fill up that kind of space would be, hmm...let's do some math on that. I wonder how many rounds of 5.56 can fit in a 120mm mortar ammo can. Anyone know? I can stack those 3 high by maybe 6 wide at least in one small closet I can think of and still have room for stuff.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

An emotionally charged phrase that means 30 different things to 30 different people!
    ...and they have a plan...

(Philadelphia County)

I, too, am an ammosexual. The dad of a good friend of mine was storing about 20,000 rounds in various calibers not all that long ago. Seeing how quickly ammo can go I think several times that is still acceptable.

What I mean is... If my house is on fire and doesn't blow up like the fourth of fuckin' July I didn't have nearly enough ammo stored.

Talking Re: What Is Ammo Hoarding?

+ plus

Ammo Whording
    Last edited by internet troll; July 27th, 2014 at 02:10 AM.

(Mercer County)

I'm too poor to be an ammo collector. I don't hoard! BUT I do amass. I'm an unrepentant ammo amasser.

Hell, last week I run across a good deal on ammo; a good friend has been slowly selling off his gun collection and gave me 500 or rounds of .480 Ruger ammo. I said thank you and now I have to buy a .480 ruger to fire up this ammo. Good reason to buy another firearm.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Franklin County)

Ammo hoarding is someone else having ammo I can't find or buy.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast