Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default South Eastern PA Bluing

I have an old 870 Wingmaster with beautiful wood on it but the bluing is like 50%. I think the gun is worth having reblued assuming its not obscenely expensive. Does anyone know a shop or gunsmith in south eastern PA who still does real hot bluing? I don't want the crappy stuff that passes as bluing these days.

xcollins1@live.com

(Centre County)

Default Re: South Eastern PA Bluing

Don't have an answer for you, but have you thought of having it Cerakoted? Cerakote is really tough (if you'll be hunting with it) and you can get very near the same color as a bluing job (or any other color you may want). I believe a Cerakote job would be near the same price as a bluing would and the plus factor is that Cerakote won't allow rust to form where it is applied. I've done several customers shotguns and so far the Cerakote has held up fine, even when bucking the scrub oak up here in central PA.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Default Re: South Eastern PA Bluing

We are located in Chalfont PA which is a bit north west of Philly. Might be out of the range you are looking for. We are in the process of setting up our hot rust bluing system but it could be a couple months before we are set up for it, hopefully sooner! However I also agree if you plan on hunting with it I would absolutely go with the cerekote! That stuff is unreal durable and if you were going to go with a matte finish blue than it wont look too far off. We do not cerekote in shop but we do have a company that does cerekote for us. Best of luck!