Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Took my wife to the range...

and she shot the Ruger MKIII with suppressor, CZ 75 compact 9mm, and my Taurus PT1911. It was very windy at Elverson Gun Club today, but that didn't stop us from shooting. Kelly liked the MKIII, but didn't like shooting the 9mm. I think it was because the CZ's trigger was heavy and the difference in recoil. She did very well with the MKIII and did decent with the CZ. I was surprised that she was willing to shoot a 45ACP, so I handed her the 1911. Kelly shot the 1911 better than the 9mm, which was a complete shock to me. Overall, I was very impressed with my wife's performance. This was her first time shooting my pistols and it was not only very windy, but it was damn cold outside. We plan on going next week as well. I'll probably take her to FCO on Friday to shoot indoor. Kelly had a group of 10 shots that were clustered inside of 2" at 7 yards. I better watch out if she keeps that up, she will be teaching me a thing or two about shooting.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Took my wife to the range...

Just be very careful so you don't end up in my situation. She now shoots better than me, has more guns and worse of all has more expensive tastes than me. Be very very careful

(Berks County)

Naw, what both of you guys have to worry about now is pissing the better halves off!
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

My wife won't be buying any weapons for herself. She is only doing this as a Christmas present to me. I wanted her to learn how to defend herself and wanted her to gain some knowledge when it comes to using various weapons. She disliked shooting even though she did very well. I want her to know how to use my tools if and when I am not around. I cannot always be by her side and I wanted to make sure that she knows how to protect herself.

(Lehigh County)

I am trying to get my wife to shoot also. I guess i can ask her to go for my birthday. I think she will enjoy it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    Naw, what both of you guys have to worry about now is pissing the better halves off!
    Way to late to worry about that

(Union County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    and she shot the Ruger MKIII with suppressor, CZ 75 compact 9mm, and my Taurus PT1911. It was very windy at Elverson Gun Club today, but that didn't stop us from shooting. Kelly liked the MKIII, but didn't like shooting the 9mm. I think it was because the CZ's trigger was heavy and the difference in recoil. She did very well with the MKIII and did decent with the CZ. I was surprised that she was willing to shoot a 45ACP, so I handed her the 1911. Kelly shot the 1911 better than the 9mm, which was a complete shock to me. Overall, I was very impressed with my wife's performance. This was her first time shooting my pistols and it was not only very windy, but it was damn cold outside. We plan on going next week as well. I'll probably take her to FCO on Friday to shoot indoor. Kelly had a group of 10 shots that were clustered inside of 2" at 7 yards. I better watch out if she keeps that up, she will be teaching me a thing or two about shooting.
    Most women have smaller hands and the "old slabsides" M1911 with the original flat main spring housing, the single stack mag, and original grips/stocks seem to fit a woman's hand a lot better than the newer "fat grips" on most of the modern pistols. The single action trigger breaking at 3.5 to 4.0 pounds without the long double action pull also helps with the accuracy.

Woman also seem to like the government model and commander size grip frame better than the officer's models short grip.

Just my opinion from several years of shooting and teaching many women to shoot.

grizz
    Last edited by GRIZZLYBEAR; January 26th, 2007 at 04:06 AM. Reason: content

(Delaware County)

My wife enjoys shooting also and I've seen her whip a couple of my friends at clays(their faces were priceless) She also likes shooting pistols her favorite was my Ruger Super Redhawk in .44mag the range officer watched her and told me I'd do well not to piss her off
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Cumberland County)

Good for you!

I took mine as well a couple of months ago. She has had several rifles since we got married but has never suggested going to a range with them. She said she had never fired a handgun and wanted to try it.

I started her with a Single Six revolver. She liked that, shot it very well, so after 50 rounds or so, we moved to a .357BH shooting .38Sp. She thought that was just fine too, and asked to try a "cute little one" which was a Tarus snubbie in 38Sp. She did "not" like the noise and fire from that. She sort of liked the Tarus 4" double action revolver but she wasn't sure she liked the trigger pull.

Next day she asked me where the best gun store was, I mentioned I hadn't been to Redding's in Gettysburg but had heard it was a good one. She said "lets go!" So we went. She bought herself a nice used 6" S&W 686-1 and a beautiful 6" S&W Model 17-2.

She has good taste in guns.

She gets all excited when the hole appears in the middle of the target. She had me adjust the sights till her guns shot point of aim at 25'. She will occasionally run the target out to 50'. With her eyes, she figures that's far enough.

We go shooting together a couple of times a month, she goes through 24 .38+P and a 100 to 150 .22LR in a visit. She can hold 1-1/2" at 25' with the 686 shooting .38+P and under an inch with the Model 17. Her vision is not good, she has tri-focals (so do I), she shoots right handed and left eyed, but somehow she manages to hit what she is aiming at. Works for her.

I bought her some CT Hog Hunter grips for her 686 for Christmas. Zeroed them to make a hole right under the red dot at 25'. She loves those, but only uses them for 6 shots each range trip.

I found out that she used to go deer hunting in MI with her dad and brothers decades ago (she has an '03 sporter that I just recently learned was her deer gun). We've been married going on 39 years and I didn't know that till a couple of months ago. We lived in gun phobic California for 35 of those years which might explain part of it!

We were at a gun show last Saturday and she spotted a 5-1/2" Single Six like the first one we rented at the range. Ya know what? That one followed us home. She spotted it, and the fact that it was a good price. When I remarked on that, her answer, with a grin, was "born to shop works at gun shows too".

Yup, it definitely does.

Edited to add that in the time since she has gotten her LCTF, joined the NRA, signed up for the NRA handgun safety class, and has a full membership in the gun club I (now its "we") belong to. I could get to like this a lot.

Fitch
    Last edited by Fitch; January 26th, 2007 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Spelling.

(Delaware County)

Awesome Fitch!
    My next trick is to try to get her out hunting with me but I think going from paper to fur is going to be tough.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast