Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Tritium vs fiber optic sights

For home defense and concealed carry, and general purpose. Tritium or fiber optics sights? Let the debate fly, as I know little about the topic. Which is better for my purpose and why? Assume cost is not an issue.

I'm planning to do one or the other by sending into Apex my M&P 9 full size and Shield for the deluxe treatment. Once I get them back, I will send in another pair for the same treatment. So, I am making this decision for a total of four guns, two of each variety.

If it matters, I plan to have a threaded barrel fitted to the full size ones, to accept a suppressor.

Also, if it matters if a rail mounted flashlight is used, with respect to these sights, I need to know that too.

Thanks,
    F
    Last edited by free; July 23rd, 2014 at 01:54 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Tritium vs fiber optic sights

My XDs has a fiber front sight. It is pretty clear and easy to pick up in broad daylight. It's supposed to light up in low light conditions due to collecting light... at least in theory. I dont find that it actually works that way. I find it difficult to see in low light. I would (and probably eventually will) go with the tritium on it. My XDm only came with white 3 dot sights and that will be the first to have the sights upgraded. the choice was fiber or tritium. well, there wasnt really a choice. it will definitley be getting the tritium.

The fiber is a good idea but in my experience (dark range, dark home) i have found that there needs to be a light source behind me in order for it to light up enough. You can do this with a flashlight along and behind in your hand but why? i don't think they are worth it. for me it's a novelty at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I blame New Jersey for putting itself above the Constitution

(Mercer County)

Why not both? TFO.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Northampton County)

Had some bad experiences with TFOs ... the fibers keep falling out (sometimes with the tritium tubes too)

I like a FO front and plain black rear (10-8 Performance U notch preferred). To me, Night Sights are useless because if its dark enough to need something glowing on your sights to see em, you need some sort of external light to ID the target -- and once you light a room up, you loose the tritium glow anyway

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by IntenseImage View Post
    Had some bad experiences with TFOs ... the fibers keep falling out (sometimes with the tritium tubes too)

I like a FO front and plain black rear (10-8 Performance U notch preferred). To me, Night Sights are useless because if its dark enough to need something glowing on your sights to see em, you need some sort of external light to ID the target -- and once you light a room up, you loose the tritium glow anyway
    How long ago did you have them? I understand that they had that issue a long while back. I've had them on several firearms in the last three years with no issues.

At a minimum, I run tritium sights on every carry gun I own. Mostly all have TFOs, though.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by IntenseImage View Post

That's pretty much where I am. All of the sights I've been buying are FO front and plain rear. Seems to be the setup of choice for most of the best shooters (not me) out there. And yes, there is a direct correlation of competition and self-defense as far as sights go. You need to be able to make fast, accurate shots. Nothing more, nothing less.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Centre County)

Unlike Intenseimage, I have had nothing but good luck with TFO.

I had it on my gen4 G22. Shot who knows how many rounds - Since .40SW was all I could find for sometime - and it never failed me.

Other then its bit on long side(specially the front sight), it worked great day and night.
    I liked them so much, I bought 2 more for both of my M&P9 and M&P45.
    And waiting for the days they release more for every guns I have...
    (I could do without TFO on rear. simple U notch and TFO front would be the ticket IMO).

Both M&P9 and G22 had green/greenest up. But for M&P45, I got green/yellow, and that's the way to go. Now, that bright ass front sight is even easier to pick up...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Wayne County)

Tritium, my Sig P238 has them and they're good day and night.

(Delaware County)

How the heck are you guys seeing the sight in low light/ dark with the fiber?

I'm sitting in my living room with my xds and aimed it at the opposite wall and nothing. Can't make out anything other than the vague shape if the gun. I would have to point shoot.

As the sun has just set, I aimed toward my front door... I have a wall of glass to my back and low daylight coming in. ('Approx 8ft high, 35ft length windows). And I still dont pick up the fiber. If I put the ipad to my face pointing towards the gun and beyond , then I can see the sights.

Do I just have some piece of shit type of fiber on the xds? It's the stock orange/ red forward sight with two white dot rear. Tritium would be glowing away and a life of cake to see. That's why I was planning on going to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I blame New Jersey for putting itself above the Constitution

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 90volts View Post
    How the heck are you guys seeing the sight in low light/ dark with the fiber?
    You can't.

Not without the aid of white light.

That's why some of us are so sold on TFO(tritium Fiber Optic).
    They work like a FO sight during the day, and work as tritium sight in night.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast