Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Police check card hassels

Hi,
    I am new to PAFOA and after reading endless thread about Police check card system, I've decided to share my story.
    I live in Ambler, Montgomery county PA.
    Personally I didn't think it was a big of deal to get local police check card filled out myself since it was "suggested that it can save time on my end".
    Yes, saving time is most necessary for myself since I work lots of hours and figure I just don't have much time to go back and forth just incase if I ever have to.
    Dropped off the local police Check card on monday morning, was told that they will call me back "When" its done. I took a second look at the card and thought to myself, how long can it possibly take to just do a quick verification and sign the form...but whatever, I thank the officer and left the building.
    Friday comes no phone calls...so I called and lady who was on the phone tells me that they can not locate the form.!! umm....WTF?
    I told her that it was officer **** and time framed I visited.
    She calls me back about an hour later tells me they found it!! yay!!
    then she tells me they will call me when its ready....
    I politely asked the lady if its possible for them to have it done asap since upcomming monday would be my first weekday off in 5 years and I just like to get it done all in same day if possible, and she said she will find out and give me a call back.

two hours or so later she calls me back and its ready!! yay again. Figured she felt bad due to the fact that it has been neglected for 5 days? I dont know...but whatever.. it is done and I am happy with it.
    So I politely asked her to hold it till monday morning so I can pick it up myself and take them down to courthouse.

My Request was denied due to the fact that it is their "policy" to mail them to the courthouse. So here we are again, I tried to explain my situation all over about upcomming monday being my only day off in 5 yrs and yet she insisted she needs to mail it out her self and told me it should be there by monday morning or tuesday the latest....(tuesday is not good for me..but again..whatever)
    Today is wednesday and Sherrif still hasn't receive it in mail... thats 4 business days within 10-15mils of usps. Even sherrif himself could not understand why they won't just hand it to me instead. I told him I have no clue but I didn't want to argue with someone who is sitting behind the desk and he gave me a bit of approve nod....
    I did however called Ambler PD and the lady told me she mailed it out her self and give it another day or so.

Is there a point to this thread?
    well after a bit of disapointment this morning, I figure I'll just drop in and say hi to my new community and let some of you know that there are people out there going to through some BS with police check card still.

I am starting to feel that I would've walked out with my license even more quicker if I dropped off both paper at the Sherrif's dept. to start with and just wait up to 45 days.
    My gut feeling tells me that I may have to start the whole process all over again...for whatever reason that might be. But if I ever have to, I'll just drop both application at the sherrif's dept and try to forget about it another 45 days.

Default Re: Police check card hassels

I have found that when dealing with bureaucracies it's usually best to do as the Romans do, and use whatever normal channels they are use to using. They're not motivated by anyone's needs but their own and are programmed to do everything in a rhythmic manner. Any change can cause a complete breakdown.

Obviously the check card is total bs but that's another story.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Allegheny County)

.....so.....what the hell is a "police check card?"

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    .....so.....what the hell is a "police check card?"

Thanks for asking first, so I didn't have to reveal my ignorance. Ooops!

(Erie County)

OMG. I just looked it up. This cannot be legal. Why has nobody ever challenged the necessity of this "check card"?

Erie County must be the best county in the state. Before Sandy Hook, you would get your permit in about an hour, if you had filled out the STANDARD state form beforehand. It took three weeks to get mine last year.
    Last edited by SevenMilePete; July 23rd, 2014 at 01:46 PM.

I'm sure the check cards slip through because the sheriff is allowed to have up to one page of provisions to "assure compliance" with 6109, ie conduct an investigation. In most cases it's the sheriff pawning of their responsibilities on the local pd's.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Berks County)

another reason I'm glad I live in Berks county....no check card and your in and out the door in under a half hour with LTCF in hand (normally about 15 minutes)

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exarforce View Post
    Hi,
    Friday comes no phone calls...so I called and lady who was on the phone tells me that they can not locate the form.!! umm....WTF?
    I told her that it was officer **** and time framed I visited.
    She calls me back about an hour later tells me they found it!! yay!!
    then she tells me they will call me when its ready....
    I politely asked the lady if its possible for them to have it done asap since upcomming monday would be my first weekday off in 5 years and I just like to get it done all in same day if possible, and she said she will find out and give me a call back.
    No need to star out the officer's name..... call him out for participating in the BS local check card.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    OMG. I just looked it up. This cannot be legal. Why has nobody ever challenged the necessity of this "check card"?

Erie County must be the best county in the state. Before Sandy Hook, you would get your permit in about an hour, if you had filled out the STANDARD state form beforehand. It took three weeks to get mine last year.
    It is NOT legal..... No one has sued the sheriff for requiring it.

(Berks County)

I just moved from Berks to Montco and I'm not looking forward to my LTCF renewal (because of this check-card thing). With any luck, perhaps it will go away before 2017 when it comes time for me to renew again.

(Fayette County)

Fayette County, 15 minutes total time to get LTCF. Of course, we're really part of West by god Virginia!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast