Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default A rifle for a boy

My Mother-in-law gave me her deceased husband's .22 many months back. She found it in a closet after his passing. It's been in my safe ever since. It's rusted and neglected, but still functionally intact. Model 511 Remington with a 24" barrel. Stamped parts and open sights. Probably made millions of them. Holds 6+1 LR or short and has a heavy stock.

My son and I got it out and went over it last weekend, he's 14. After we cleaned it up and checked it for function, he shot a couple mags through it and was steadily drilling an inch at 40 yards without any hesitation. He doesn't have a lot of experience with open irons (or any guns outside electronics ones) and he really surprised me.

After a while, I said, "...hey, would you like to have that rifle?"
    a big grin crossed his face and he enthusiastically answered, "YEAH!"

I made sure he understood it's not a toy and can shoot a bullet a mile and hit someone. He's been around me all his life, so he's not ballistically challenged. Just made me feel good saying it out loud.

Anyhow, it just made my day to know he's growing up and can appreciate a tool like that. Not to mention his Grandfather was a Liberal. Maybe he will give it to his son some day. Good times!

(Wayne County)

Default Re: A rifle for a boy

Mosseater, even if your son does not hunt, have him take the hunter safety course. Makers ya proud hey, good for you.

(York County)

Oh, he has. My daughter too, she's 17. She doesn't hunt, but I thought I could get her into it. It's not as high on her list as the drama that transpires in school, so right now, she's taking a pass.

They both have a good foundation in firearms knowledge and handling. They're pretty sharp for the little bit of experience they have. I set the bar pretty high in that regard. This will be his third year in the woods with me and we have a great time, that is, when I can get him out of bed. He grew 5" since last year! That has to be tiring if not painful. He's almost looking me eyeball to eyeball. I'm hoping he'll go along to WV camp this season. I want to get him a shot at a deer. He could have taken a doe last year in archery but chose to hold off. He has a good head on his shoulders.

(Wayne County)

Mosseater great to hear that they took the course, good luck in WV this year. One other question, you gonna make him gut his own, or has he earned his stripes?

(York County)

Oh, I'll help him, mostly by pointing and giving tips. I'm a firm beliver in allowing mistakes to be made. That's how humans seem to learn best. But, I draw the line at ruining meat. I'm sure he'll do fine. Watch one, do one, teach one. That's how they do it in med school. He's already watched one, so....

That is a good story! Thanks for sharing!

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by mosseater View Post
    Oh, he has. My daughter too, she's 17. She doesn't hunt, but I thought I could get her into it. It's not as high on her list as the drama that transpires in school, so right now, she's taking a pass.

They both have a good foundation in firearms knowledge and handling. They're pretty sharp for the little bit of experience they have. I set the bar pretty high in that regard. This will be his third year in the woods with me and we have a great time, that is, when I can get him out of bed. He grew 5" since last year! That has to be tiring if not painful. He's almost looking me eyeball to eyeball. I'm hoping he'll go along to WV camp this season. I want to get him a shot at a deer. He could have taken a doe last year in archery but chose to hold off. He has a good head on his shoulders.
    Sounds to me like they have a good teacher.

Nice to pass along a family "heirloom" to the next generation
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(York County)

Thanks for the kind words. I try, but it's hard to get a foothold in a youngsters life these day with so much virtual stuff competing for their attention. Just hoping I can get it right and pass on a little of how I grew up. (thanks, Dad!)

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by mosseater View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. I try, but it's hard to get a foothold in a youngsters life these day with so much virtual stuff competing for their attention. Just hoping I can get it right and pass on a little of how I grew up. (thanks, Dad!)
    MOSSEATER:

Workin' with my grand daughter (Freshman in College, Ooooops a Sophomore)---Took a lil' time off for a summer job. I think her POP-POP did the same, eons ago.

Doing just fine. She has the passion. A little 000 steel wool and finish up her hunter safety course and I will be there when she dings one at 250.

Am I confident about her direction in the Game of Life ???? You are allowed one guess.

fossil
    Last edited by ImAfossil; July 26th, 2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: fix
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !