Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Upper Merion home invader finds shotgun

A fine, upstanding Philadelphia citizen took the trolley to tony Upper Merion on the Main Line with plans to conduct some wealth redistribution. He opted for what turned out to be an occupied residence which upgraded his burglary to a full on home invasion. Worse, he found a shotgun in the residence and held the home owners at gunpoint, tying up the female and forcing the male to drive to an ATM to get more cash. The perp was caught after a chase and the couple were unhurt, but the obvious issue of concern here is that he found the shotgun in the home and used it against the home owners.

How many here keep a home defense shotgun ready to rock right under the bed, in the closet, behind the bedroom door or any other convenient but obvious place? How about unsecured even in that "clever" hiding spot where no one would ever think to look? No details on where the couple stored theirs, but certainly, this is a situation we all hope to avoid. Thoughts?

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...-upper-merion/

UPPER MERION, Pa. (CBS) — A suspect is in custody following a terrifying home invasion in Montgomery County Tuesday morning.
    The incident began at about 8 a.m. at a home near the intersection of Trinity and Holstein Roads in the Gulph Mills section of Upper Merion Township.
    Police say the suspect, identified as Keith Morrison, rode SEPTA to the neighborhood, then walked around looking for a house to burglarize, was surprised to find a couple inside the house. He also found a shotgun, police allege, holding the couple at gunpoint, the break-in now a home invasion.
    “The female victim is tied up, and the male victim was taken against his will out of the house to get more money from an ATM machine,” Upper Merion Police Chief Tom Nolan said.
    The victim claimed that Morrison forced him to drive to the Wawa on Rt. 23 in West Conshohocken to take out money. The victim made several withdrawals of cash.
    The victim was able to break free after Morrison tied her up and quickly called 911 to report the incident.
    Soon after, police spotted Morrison pulling into a SEPTA train lot in Gulph Mills and he quickly fled the scene. Following a short pursuit, police claim the suspect jumped from the stolen BMW, ran across the busy lanes of the Schuylkill Expressway, filled with rush-hour traffic, then climbed a sound barrier wall, before being cornered by police on Bob White Road.
    Police found the male victim in the vehicle, where cash and a handgun were recovered.
    The male and female homeowners were not injured in the incident.
    Police are now looking Morrison for a rash of similar crimes in the area, daytime break-ins close to the trolley line.
    “I guess I have to be a little more cautious about locking my house,” a neighbor said.
    “To hear that she was tied up and these kind of bizarre things are happening in my neighborhood is quite a shock,” neighbor Larry Persofsky said. “I still think this a relatively safe area and I’m just really concerned about my neighbor and how he is doing.”
    Police say Morrison will be charged with robbery, kidnapping, unlawful restraint, burglary and other related charges. He is currently awaiting arraignment.

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: Upper Merion home invader finds shotgun

I was thinking this was going to be one of those "found himself staring down the business end of the shotgun" stories...

I'm sure there's quite a few homes around the state where the perp could find the homeowner's defensive weapon. Even some homes where they're kept "locked up" in cabinets with sliding glass panes for doors or similar storage....

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    I was thinking this was going to be one of those "found himself staring down the business end of the shotgun" stories...

I'm sure there's quite a few homes around the state where the perp could find the homeowner's defensive weapon. Even some homes where they're kept "locked up" in cabinets with sliding glass panes for doors or similar storage....
    Me too. How many people do you think leave a loaded gun just inside the front door? I can see people leaving shotguns leaning right up against the wall.

This begs the question. Do you have one in the chamber in your HDW? How many bad guys would think to rack it? It would give you the upper hand if the bad guy got a hold of it.
    Last edited by libra8; July 24th, 2014 at 02:13 AM.
    "The first time any mans freedom is trodden on we're all damaged."JeanLucPicard

(Lancaster County)

This is why when I hear anyone recommending a shotgun for home defense I immediately call BS on them, particularly if it's some halfass moron working at a gun shop. ALWAYS have what you're going to use for defense ON YOUR PERSON!!! If it's not ready for when you need it then what good is it? And how many people are going to go through the drill of locking up a long gun when away then unlock it and have it at the ready times a few thousand days? So many people have been sold on the idea of a HD only gun to where it's a "Yay, I bought it, problem solved" mentality like buying a crucifix to hang up on a wall to keep vampires away.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Northumberland County)

damn ! thats why i have numerous guns loaded ready to rock in different spots in case i would stumble into an intruder, theres never an abundance of firearms in my home!

(Delaware County)

i'd be curious as to how he found the shotgun? was the couple up? in bed still? too many unanswered questions.

I used to keep a shotgun by the bed. long time ago. i'd lock it up in the closet when i got up. Now its a handgun by my head when i sleep and on me when i get up. for the odd time i dont have it on, another stashed i can hopefully get to on time.
    Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I blame New Jersey for putting itself above the Constitution

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    This is why when I hear anyone recommending a shotgun for home defense I immediately call BS on them, particularly if it's some halfass moron working at a gun shop. ALWAYS have what you're going to use for defense ON YOUR PERSON!!! If it's not ready for when you need it then what good is it? And how many people are going to go through the drill of locking up a long gun when away then unlock it and have it at the ready times a few thousand days? So many people have been sold on the idea of a HD only gun to where it's a "Yay, I bought it, problem solved" mentality like buying a crucifix to hang up on a wall to keep vampires away.
    There's a crucifix on one of our walls and we haven't seen a vampire yet. Plus I have that rock that keeps tigers away outside, so we're doing pretty good.

I don't see any problem with having a shotgun as an HD weapon, but I wouldn't recommend having it in a room other than your bedroom at night when you're sleeping, just to prevent someone from getting it without you knowing.

It would seem that in this particular home, the guy was able to get in, without being heard by the residents and was able to search the house and find the shotgun without being heard. That's a problem right there. I bet those people are having an alarm system installed soon if they didn't already have one.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

I have dogs. Big dogs.

Very, very, protective big dogs.

Plus, I have a shovel and a big yard.

That's all I'm saying.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

I have a loaded shotgun in every room, and a dog. Two pistols on my bed frame. My house is a shoebox, if the perp gets a hold of one of my guns and uses it on me, i guess i deserve it.

(Delaware County)

Phil,,,,,I hope you have a friend to help you dig..................yer hands are kinda soft.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast