Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Philadelphia LTCF Disclosure Class Action Settlement

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If it's true, and I doubt that judgement would carry over to the rest of the state, then it would seem there's still two sets of rules. The rest of us still have to submit references and have them contacted, and Philly doesn't.

Really don't make much sense.
    Many counties already don't bother, at least not routinely. But this is the first time I've seen a legal commitment to not call references.

None of mine have been contacted by the PPD but then I had to have them fill out the form to say that they are real and I'm not likely to be a danger to public safety.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Many counties already don't bother, at least not routinely. But this is the first time I've seen a legal commitment to not call references.

None of mine have been contacted by the PPD but then I had to have them fill out the form to say that they are real and I'm not likely to be a danger to public safety.
    I've applied/renewed three times, the only time they were contacted was the first time, but I suspect that was because I used two Chiefs of police as my references. It'll be interesting to see if I can renew next year and not provide references.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

This only affects Philadelphia, not any other counties (unless they are separately sued or decide to voluntarily change their policies and procedures).

(Juniata County)

In other news, any comment on Federal officials acting as straw buyers for the Gov of Columbia causing sig imports to be banned.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If it's true, and I doubt that judgement would carry over to the rest of the state, then it would seem there's still two sets of rules. The rest of us still have to submit references and have them contacted, and Philly doesn't.

Really don't make much sense.

The difference being that when other counties contact your contacts they are not suppose to divulge the reason that they are calling only to ask character questions about said applicant. If they tell the person they are contacting them in regards to "person X" LTCF application then they are technically in violation of the law. Philadelphia made you submit sheets of paper filled out by said reference in which the character witness knowingly knew exactly what it was for, along with a lot of other unneeded information about the reference. You prob should inform some one when you list them as a reference, be it a job or LTCF or other ..... BUT in the case of the LTCF it should be the applicants choice to do so.

While this is a HUGE step forward for Philadelphians in the LTCF dept, it still does not put Philly on equal grounds as any other county. One of the big ones that still irks me is the fingerprinting of LTCF applicants and electronic submission to be run against known databases. We have no idea what happens with these submitted fingerprints. As with everything electronic these days, im sure they just get added to "the database" and stored with your other profiled data.

(Northampton County)

Josh, great work, thanks!

I don't think Philly is going to fully comply with those commitments but still seems like a huge win.

(Berks County)

I can guarantee you that the number of concessions that I wanted were far more than what were agreed to....If the City doesn't comply, then they can be held in contempt of court.
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

(Indiana County)

$1.425,000 divided by 3,165 people in the lawsuit equals roughly $450.23 per person. Of course, some people will get more than that, and others less.

It still gripes my ass that the government never, ever admits fault or liability. If the government wasn't at fault, then there would have been no need for a lawsuit.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    $1.425,000 divided by 3,165 people in the lawsuit equals roughly $450.23 per person. Of course, some people will get more than that, and others less.

It still gripes my ass that the government never, ever admits fault or liability. If the government wasn't at fault, then there would have been no need for a lawsuit.
    You forgot the attorney's fees being taken out of that settlement.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Some people will get more alright

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast