Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Automatic pistol cartridge in a revolver...why?

I still can't fathom the appeal of a rimless pistol cartridge in a revolver. It seems to me to be more of a pain in the ass than anything else. Having to deal with half-moon clips and reducing the amount of rounds carried over the pistols chambered in the same caliber.

Even hunting, I love the 10mm but I don't see a ballistics advantage over a .357 or .44 revolver. The only hunting appeal I can see is I can carry 15 rounds of 10mm in a Glock if I'm hunting in a modern state. For all you 9mm, 10mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP revolver aficionados, tell me what I'm missing.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Automatic pistol cartridge in a revolver...why?

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I still can't fathom the appeal of a rimless pistol cartridge in a revolver. It seems to me to be more of a pain in the ass than anything else. Having to deal with half-moon clips and reducing the amount of rounds carried over the pistols chambered in the same caliber.

Even hunting, I love the 10mm but I don't see a ballistics advantage over a .357 or .44 revolver. The only hunting appeal I can see is I can carry 15 rounds of 10mm in a Glock if I'm hunting in a modern state. For all you 9mm, 10mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP revolver aficionados, tell me what I'm missing.
    To me its freaking cool, id love to have a .45acp revolver...

i like shooting revolvers and load .45acp win win?

The only appeal I see is being able to enjoy the action of a revolver without switching ammo.

My autos and revolvers are all traditional calibers.

(Philadelphia County)

I'd like a 9mm revolver just because 9mm is cheaper more available than .38 as I don't reload.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(York County)

the first example of the type was the wartime expedient of the 1917 S&W and colt revolvers issued in 45 ACP as substitute standard due to colt's inability to achieve demand deliveries in the first great war.

some euro police departments have issued 9X19 revolvers for logistical compatibility with the standard service auto (france, for example).

there is no other practical reason for the phenomena, but this is America, where "we have guns just because we can", and we can have any kind the heart desires.

Half-moon clips are collectible, as they were replaced with the "modern" full moon clips.

Rick

(Lancaster County)

I believe Taurus is making a revolver that shoots ACP without requiring moon clips now. Basically there are spring loaded "keepers" built into each chamber.

Interesting idea.

I bought some moon clips to shoot .45ACP from my .45 Colt New Service but it turned out that there wasn't enough relief between the cylinder and the frame to make it work.

(Jefferson County)

The only real advantages that I can see are:

1. Cheaper bulk ammo (ie: 9mm and 45acp)
    2. The ability to have a shorter cylinder for reduced weight and profile

There are some disadvantages that goes with that design. ...like headspacing and extraction issue. With the typical side opening double action revolver either of which requires the use of goofy clips or a half-assed designed extractor(which Phillips & Rodgers was the only company to get it right).

Single action style revolvers typically use a ejecting rod to eject, and the cylinder can be a tighter fit for headspacing off the recoil shield since it doesn't have to swing out.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

One big reason is the auto cartridges are shorter thus helping to shave time off of reloads. They go in fast, come out faster and are less prone to hang ups. Quite a few guys shoot .45gap vs .45acp in their revolvers in comp due to that.

(Chester County)

9mm is usually cheaper and more powerful (energy) than .38 special. 9mm is a lot cheaper than .357 magnum, although generally not as powerful (energy).

And if you are like me and would prefer stockpiling two pistol calibers (9mm and .45acp) over an additional caliber.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast