Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default OC in Jim Thorpe

My 12 yr old and GF wanted something to do Sunday so we headed down to Jim Thorpe. The downtown area was quite crowded at around 3PM. We walked all over town, stopped in a bunch of shops. Train ride finished running so we missed that. And the prison tour was done also. But we still had an enjoyable walk through the town. OC my 1911 in 45 the whole time and no issues. Is this area pretty much OC friendly or 2A in general? Saw one patrol car the whole time there but nobody freaked because I was OC (lots of out of staters). I know in the NE pa area I have never had a problem OC. Thx.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: OC in Jim Thorpe

JT is a beautiful town, and really the only place i do OC from time to time and usually get compliments or "thanks" for OC to keep our streets safer...

Only time i had an issue with some people from NJ and told them to go back home if you dont like it, because this is my home (in a nutshell)

Very 2A friendly area from the locals

(Monroe County)

Thanks for the reply. I only have been down there a few times but we had a great day walking around. All the shop owners were really nice. We were in EVERY shop(with daughter and GF I had no choice!) I heard some chatter behind me once or twice and a few stares, prob NYorkers or NJ but nobody said anything even the ones with kids. I just kind of prepare for the worst when going into new areas OC. It never changes my mind to not do it, I will never do that but I prepare myself for LEO interaction which I have never had in over a year Oc'ing. Even 4th of July weekend up in Lake Wallenpaupack we were heading out for a drink. Parked the car and a sheriff dept leo was in the parking lot for traffic control. My girlfrind goes "are you ok"? I go with what? She goes with your gun there is a cop in the parking lot. I said I am doing nothing wrong. If he wants to say something I cant control that but all I will do is tell him the law if he dont know it OR respect it. We walked past him, he looked at my hip, said have a good time!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by poconojoe View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I only have been down there a few times but we had a great day walking around. All the shop owners were really nice. We were in EVERY shop(with daughter and GF I had no choice!) I heard some chatter behind me once or twice and a few stares, prob NYorkers or NJ but nobody said anything even the ones with kids. I just kind of prepare for the worst when going into new areas OC. It never changes my mind to not do it, I will never do that but I prepare myself for LEO interaction which I have never had in over a year Oc'ing. Even 4th of July weekend up in Lake Wallenpaupack we were heading out for a drink. Parked the car and a sheriff dept leo was in the parking lot for traffic control. My girlfrind goes "are you ok"? I go with what? She goes with your gun there is a cop in the parking lot. I said I am doing nothing wrong. If he wants to say something I cant control that but all I will do is tell him the law if he dont know it OR respect it. We walked past him, he looked at my hip, said have a good time!
    yep there was a lot out of staters walking around this weekend too, due to the damn releases i guess for white water rafting...

I was in town earlier on saturday morning didnt get any OC'r but hit the gorge trail the rest of the day, and didnt head back into main town sunday

now that you did the town a few times, should enjoy a lot of the recreational activities JT has to offer...really awesome hiking, biking

If you have never been to Glen Onoko Falls, i highly suggest this as your daughter is plenty old enough to meet the challenge, just bring good shoes!
    Last edited by Svickstc; July 21st, 2014 at 01:31 PM.

(Carbon County)

I was in town earlier on saturday morning didnt get any OC'r but hit the gorge trail the rest of the day, and didnt head back into main town sunday

You can OC at the Gorge. I thought you can only CC there.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cardonasharp View Post

You can OC at the Gorge. I thought you can only CC there.
    I dont OC really very few occasions and it will be around JT...the gorge is a state park no OC

(Carbon County)

I have a question what would happen while walking or hiking your pistol get exposed by mistake. I have a good IWB so for me it would not be a problem but what happens if it does.
    Last edited by cardonasharp; July 21st, 2014 at 02:41 PM.

(Monroe County)

Nothing would happen. Pa is an open carry state. Concealed u need LTCF permit. Open carry there is no permit it is a right . Open carry there is no need to show law enforcement anything. No drivers license. Not even ur LTCF unless u are in Philly than u need ltcf to open carry also. I carry no form of I'd on me when I open carry. Just debit card and cash. Look up all the info u need on this site. I prepared myself and printed out the flyer so I knew the law. I also rehearsed some answers if the cops play stupid. I have had no issues in over a year.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cardonasharp View Post
    I have a question what would happen while walking or hiking your pistol get exposed by mistake. I have a good IWB so for me it would not be a problem but what happens if it does.
    I think you mean within the state park?

I am going to say nothing, unless someone sees it and reports it to a Park Ranger, at the time, he may or may not find you given your location and confront you, based on the way you approach the situation and inform him it must of rode exposed via my shirt coming up or out etc...

all the encounters ive had with DCNR rangers in the area have been pleasant...probably just remind you the regulations and to stay covered and be on your way

They are nice if you are nice to them, they are usually like minded folks that enjoy the same outdoor activities you do (hence being a DCNR Ranger)

(Carbon County)

I live near the falls. You park your car on State Park land, but almost all the trail and falls is State Game Lands. I hunt up on that side once and a while.