Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: S&W Model 909

Default S&W Model 909

Today I went to the local gun show to look around and I came home with what I think is the perfect carry handgun. It is a Smith and Wesson model 909, from what I can find these are pretty rare guns, only produced for a year or so in 1995-96? Basically it is a single stack "value line" pistol with the black parkerized finish, identical to the 910 and 915 except it is single stack. And wow is it thin but also has a full length grip that is near perfect for my hand.

I got it for $350 new in the box, only test fired at the factory. I have always wanted a 915, but never realized they made a single stack version.

That's all I know about it, except for that I LOVE this thing and the way it feels. Can't wait to shoot it.

If anyone knows about these guns or has one I would like to know more about them and what your experience is.

Thanks

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: S&W Model 909

They are good guns in my opinion. The 909 was indeed a short run produced 1995-97. It was a value line version of the 3904. The main differences between the 3904 and 909 was that the 909 had a plastic guide rod and sights. A little less machining of the frame and slide giving it a slightly boxier look. It also lacks the ambidextrous safety.

I have a 908 which is a compact version of your 909. It has been absolutely reliable thus far. Like yours, it is a blued value line version of the 3913. I have some comparison pictures of the slides for your reference. The stainless is the 3913 and the blued is the 908.

ALSO A picture of my 3904 which you may be able to spot some of the subtle differences.

Overall I think the 3rd generation pistol were underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    They are good guns in my opinion. The 909 was indeed a short run produced 1995-97. It was a value line version of the 3904. The main differences between the 3904 and 909 was that the 909 had a plastic guide rod and sights. A little less machining of the frame and slide giving it a slightly boxier look. It also lacks the ambidextrous safety.

I have a 908 which is a compact version of your 909. It has been absolutely reliable thus far. Like yours, it is a blued value line version of the 3913. I have some comparison pictures of the slides for your reference. The stainless is the 3913 and the blued is the 908.

ALSO A picture of my 3904 which you may be able to spot some of the subtle differences.

Overall I think the 3rd generation pistol were underrated.
    I just noticed that if I lower the hammer manually with my thumb, it sounds like the sear or trigger bar "clicks" just before the hammer would come to rest on the firing pin. I am assuming that is normal?

(Bucks County)

I have 2 of the 908's, 2-910's, 1-5906 and a 6906. I love my S&W's. The 909 is just a longer barrel version of the 908. They run flawlessly! The only issue I ever had is the mag catch broke from inserting the mags. I now depress the release as I insert a mag on all my gins. Good guns!
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by G17-5291 View Post
    I just noticed that if I lower the hammer manually with my thumb, it sounds like the sear or trigger bar "clicks" just before the hammer would come to rest on the firing pin. I am assuming that is normal?
    A couple of mine do, the rest do not. Not something I'm going to worry about.

(Bucks County)

Best of luck with your purchase. I believe you will like shooting and carrying your new weapon.

I have both a 669 and a 5906 that I used for work. I shot many rounds through both without any malfunctions. The 669 was the first semi I trusted to carry for work after it proved to be reliable.

I mainly shoot and carry Glocks now, but will never sell any of my Smith semi autos or revolvers. I only shoot them occasionally but they will always have a place to reside in my safe. What I could sell them for used, is not nearly as much as they are worth to me personally.

(Delaware County)

Good luck with your new pistol!

I've long been a fan of these S&W pistols. I just found a 3904 this week end to add to my other 3rd gen Smiths. Now if I can only find mags for it.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.