Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: My gun is not being released by the police when they should be doing so......

I'd want my property back too. It's the principle of it.

I remember a thread a year or two back (it might have been from a different forum though) about a guy that got his 1911 back after someone had stolen it and used it to commit suicide.

Finish was roached from the blood exposure, he got it ceracoated and it came out awesome.

The gun did nothing wrong, and now he's got a nice pistol again, assuming it hasn't been sold.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: My gun is not being released by the police when they should be doing so......

I understand the principle behind wanting the firearm back, sure it's your property. Are you an NRA member? If so you are eligible for $2500 firearm insurance, and its free, but you have to register.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    I'd want my property back too. It's the principle of it.

I remember a thread a year or two back (it might have been from a different forum though) about a guy that got his 1911 back after someone had stolen it and used it to commit suicide.

Finish was roached from the blood exposure, he got it ceracoated and it came out awesome.

The gun did nothing wrong, and now he's got a nice pistol again, assuming it hasn't been sold.
    I believe that was here. He had pics of it in a box, with bits of "jerky" still on it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

Umm, yeah. We're not supposed to use 'thug' anymore, the PC term is 'aspiring rap star'.
    Duly noted for use in the future.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    Speak for yourself. It is my gun and being an inanimate object, committed no crimes. What don't you understand about that simple concept?

Do you not want a stolen car back either because it may have been used to commit crimes?
    I can understand your gun. Can't fully agree on the car. I have seen what some of the thu... er, suspects do in and with stolen autos. Unless it was collectible I would probably try to sell the car soon afterward.

(Bucks County)

Last edited by Bang; October 20th, 2014 at 07:22 PM.

(Delaware County)

I wonder how many PD's hold the gun hoping that you will simply give up and go away. After that they have a free gun to take home.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamltnblue View Post
    I wonder how many PD's hold the gun hoping that you will simply give up and go away. After that they have a free gun to take home.
    Why does everyone have this ridiculous notion that LEOs can simply steal evidence? Evidence is logged and accounted for from beginning to end. There are internal and external checks and balances to ensure anything of value is handled in accordance with the law.

Why do you suppose you see evidence custodians or other LEOs being arrested for evidence theft? Because it's all tracked.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Why does everyone have this ridiculous notion that LEOs can simply steal evidence? Evidence is logged and accounted for from beginning to end. There are internal and external checks and balances to ensure anything of value is handled in accordance with the law.

Why do you suppose you see evidence custodians or other LEOs being arrested for evidence theft? Because it's all tracked.
    Unless the evidence is "burned"

http://articles.philly.com/2011-05-1...r-darby-police

Upper Darby police were searching for $8,000 that went missing from their evidence room and may have gone up in smoke.

Police Superintendent Michael J. Chitwood said that his department was investigating how the money had disappeared, but that he feared it might have been accidentally destroyed. He asked the District Attorney's Office to conduct a separate investigation.

Police confiscated the money in November 2009 after responding to a report that a man was pointing a gun at his wife. Police entered the home, saw marijuana and crack cocaine in plain view, and found the cash in an upstairs bedroom, Chitwood said. They arrested the husband and another man.

The drugs, money, and a few other items were logged in, and the cash was placed in a lockbox accessible to only a few people, including an evidence technician and Capt. George Rhoades, who oversees the unit, Chitwood said.

The money's disappearance was discovered May 5 after a Delaware County judge ruled the search of the home illegal and ordered the cash returned, Chitwood said.

"Everything was in the evidence box but the $8,000," he said. "We have searched the entire evidence room twice."

The only explanation has been offered by the evidence technician, who remembered having the money out for counting when an emergency interrupted him, Chitwood said. The technician may not have returned the evidence envelope to its proper box, said Chitwood, who did not identify him.

The department periodically burns evidence it no longer needs, Chitwood said, and "he feels that he could have mistakenly put it in one of the burns."

The township cut an $8,000 check to make good on the court order, Chitwood said.

"Obviously, I have to look at all the protocols and procedures," he said. "We shouldn't be losing $8,000 in any way, shape, or form."

He said the technician was an exemplary employee. "We only have people of high moral character handle this stuff," Chitwood said. "He is very upset."

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Unless the evidence is "burned"

http://articles.philly.com/2011-05-1...r-darby-police

Upper Darby police were searching for $8,000 that went missing from their evidence room and may have gone up in smoke.

Police Superintendent Michael J. Chitwood said that his department was investigating how the money had disappeared, but that he feared it might have been accidentally destroyed. He asked the District Attorney's Office to conduct a separate investigation.

Police confiscated the money in November 2009 after responding to a report that a man was pointing a gun at his wife. Police entered the home, saw marijuana and crack cocaine in plain view, and found the cash in an upstairs bedroom, Chitwood said. They arrested the husband and another man.

The drugs, money, and a few other items were logged in, and the cash was placed in a lockbox accessible to only a few people, including an evidence technician and Capt. George Rhoades, who oversees the unit, Chitwood said.

The money's disappearance was discovered May 5 after a Delaware County judge ruled the search of the home illegal and ordered the cash returned, Chitwood said.

"Everything was in the evidence box but the $8,000," he said. "We have searched the entire evidence room twice."

The only explanation has been offered by the evidence technician, who remembered having the money out for counting when an emergency interrupted him, Chitwood said. The technician may not have returned the evidence envelope to its proper box, said Chitwood, who did not identify him.

The department periodically burns evidence it no longer needs, Chitwood said, and "he feels that he could have mistakenly put it in one of the burns."

The township cut an $8,000 check to make good on the court order, Chitwood said.

"Obviously, I have to look at all the protocols and procedures," he said. "We shouldn't be losing $8,000 in any way, shape, or form."

He said the technician was an exemplary employee. "We only have people of high moral character handle this stuff," Chitwood said. "He is very upset."
    I guarantee some folks will be hooked up to polygraphs on this one.

None the less, there is accountability or the money wouldn't have been found to be missing.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast