Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 2500 fps 357 Sig! wow.

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/25...p-logging.html

Please note that I do NOT advocate the use of small fragments as defensive ammo. But check out that velocity! :-) So much for those who claim that rifle like velocity/shock just "can't be had" with duty handguns. It can be had, you just have to make your own hollowpoint bullets, on a lathe, out of solid copper rod. :-) Elmer Keith did this, using bronze rod, accurately enough to take jackrabbits with, using a 220 swift.

Way back in the early 60's, Guns and Ammo got 600 ft lbs with hollowbased 9mm "ball" bullets. The THV Arcane bullet, 45 grs in 9mm Luger, got 2300 fps, by means of this hollowbased cavity. It not only lightens the bullet, it reduces friction, better seals the bore against gas leakage, and it makes lots of room for more powder to be seated under the bullet. These things combo to create very high velocity potentials, at pressures that are perfectly safe.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 2500 fps 357 Sig! wow.

You need to check / correct your posted link. The one I saw didn't mention anything about 357 sig's.

Without looking at your desired link I agree with you that 2500 fps from a pistol is impressive (but that's about all). I also feel your correct about ultralight projectiles.

Without seeing the original link (but I probably know what it would say)...... ... They will tell you more foot pounds is ALWAYS better. A 357 sig is less than a 30-06 which is less than a 300 Weatherby mag. Of course the Weatherby mag is the most powerful......SO, You need to shoot something with the most foot pounds.

The problem I have with the foot pound logic is the fallacy of ballistic tables. That is......For the SAME cartridge a lighter bullet will always have a higher kinetic energy (ft Lbs) so it must be better. This is not true in the real world. Especially for pistols you need to consider knock down power and penetration. This has more to do with momentum and these are usually better with heavier bullets.

I would depend more on a 125 grain 9mm with the typical 350 ft lbs to stop something than an ultralight 45 grain at 600 ft lbs...

Again I am talking about comparing foot pounds for the same cartrige. If I really wanted to pick a round I could depend on to stop something it would be the 300 Weatherby mag......or maybe even a .50 BMG!

(Lackawanna County)

Fn 5.7 is about as close as youre getting commercially

Exclamation Re: 2500 fps 357 Sig! wow.

I would b afraid to mess w those w/o a way to measure pressures accurately. I will stick to accepted loads from the manuals. Cool to think about though,!

(Bucks County)

Speaking of the 60s, that was a period when there was plenty of discussions on lightnfast vs heavynslower...two different ways of arriving at terminal energy figures.

I have a .22 air rifle and a .117 air rifle, and for a while a bunch of out of control squirrels got to be too much. I quickly learned the .22 pellets too frequently wounded. The lighter, faster.177s were death.

(Clearfield County)

I don't know, I'd still rather be hit by a thrown baseball than a dropped bowling ball.