Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Lost my LTCF... now what?

Quote Originally Posted by Nucking Futs View Post
    Lost my LTCF... now what?
    get a wallet

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I would hope if it came to a stop, arrest, and court date that proving you simply did not have the card would be enough not to convict you. I would hope at least. I'm not saying it would work out this way.
    It very well might NOT work out this way. The PA statute clearly states that failure to present the license upon lawful demand of a police officer "or" at the first court appearance is by law evidence that you aren't licensed. This "presumption" is rebuttable, which means you can still save your tail, but it'll cost you a lot more time than going to the sheriff's office and it will cost you a lot more than 20 bucks.

Title 18 Part I. Article G. Chapter 61. Subchapter A. § 6122. Proof of
    License and Exception.

(a) General Rule. -- When carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle, an individual licensed to carry a firearm shall, upon lawful demand of a law enforcement officer, produce the license for inspection. Failure to produce such license either at the time of arrest or at the preliminary hearing shall create a rebuttable presumption of nonlicensure.
    Last edited by Greywolf; July 20th, 2014 at 03:13 PM.

Well I ended up going to the county sheriffs office unarmed (weird feeling) and got my new LTCF.

Crisis averted. Thread closed.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    No, that's an incorrect interpretation. If you have an LTCF, you have to show the LTCF upon lawful demand.

The other paragraph relates to people who are exempt from the LTCF requirement, it has no application to licensed persons.

So far as the OP's issue: You are licensed until it expires or is revoked. You can be hassled for being unable to provide the physical LTCF, but you're not guilty of unlicensed carry just because you lost the card. If it's revoked, the sheriff is required to send notice by certified mail to your last provided address (if you move, that's a good reason to update your address with the sheriff, via certified mail yourself.)

It's not clear whether the penalty for failing to show the card after a lawful demand is the rebuttable presumption at trial, or something worse, like the default penalty for violation of the UFA.

Make a copy, folks. Keep the copy someplace safe, for just such a contingency.
    I feel funny about this idea, and I have to ask despite the license itself is nothing more than laminated paper; you're saying a photo copy of the license is just as good as the genuine thing itself?

Can I do the same with my driver's license?

Quote Originally Posted by HUHwhat View Post
    I feel funny about this idea, and I have to ask despite the license itself is nothing more than laminated paper; you're saying a photo copy of the license is just as good as the genuine thing itself?

Can I do the same with my driver's license?
    No, that's not what I'm saying. Showing a photocopy of the license is better than you telling a cop "I'm licensed, but I have nothing to show you." But not as good as the actual license, the one that has to be returned if revoked, the one that was issued by the issuing authority, the one which you are required to produce upon lawful demand.

"Being licensed" is not the same as "having a license".
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    It very well might NOT work out this way. The PA statute clearly states that failure to present the license upon lawful demand of a police officer "or" at the firrst court appearance is by law evidence that you aren't licensed. This "presumption" is rebuttable, which means you can still save your tail, but it'll cost you a lot more time than going to the sheriff's office and it will cost you a lot more than 20 bucks.
    My original response may have been poorly written. I meant that if you could provide proof of licensure by the time the court date comes that you should be OK.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: Lost my LTCF... now what?

Quote Originally Posted by Nucking Futs View Post
    Well I ended up going to the county sheriffs office unarmed (weird feeling) and got my new LTCF.

Crisis averted. Thread closed.
    Best thing to do and no longer have to worry about it.

(Delaware County)

At least the Westmoreland Co. sheriff didn't give you a ration of crap about the replacement. IIRC in Philly, lose your license, you may be denied for life (not really sure about that though).

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_D View Post
    At least the Westmoreland Co. sheriff didn't give you a ration of crap about the replacement. IIRC in Philly, lose your license, you may be denied for life (not really sure about that though).
    Well shit like that just pisses me off. Fuck Filthadelphia and their bullshit nazi crap. That to me is like them saying "Oh you made a simple common mistake of losing something that hurt no one and is in no way a violent or serious crime? We'll guess what we're taking away your life given right to defend yourself! Sorry sucka!"

Aside from my unpaid bullshit parking tickets, those ridiculous laws and documented harassing of law abiding citizens is a big reason why I avoid the city.
    Last edited by JW1914; July 20th, 2014 at 02:57 PM.
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    The problem is Sheriff offices commonly revoke your LTCF when you tell them you lost it. Not as any sort of punishment, just as a procedure. I guess so somebody else won't use it, or just to deactivate it. If they did that, you better not carry. I'm not even sure I'd trust them to tell me for sure whether they did it or not. If they said, "No," I'd want it in writing like an email or something. With that in hand I'd keep a low profile.
    My wife lost her purse a few years ago, inside, among other things, the PA LTCF issued by DELCO.

The DELCO sheriff made her go through the entire process again as if she never had one. The "duplicate" box was not checked when she got her "2nd" LTCF.

For those who assume the lost LTCF is revoked, it's not, at least not in DELCO. When the first (lost) LTCF was about to expire she got a renewal letter from DELCO. Not having it anymore she simply ignored it.

Two years later she got the renewal notice for LTCF #2, she went through the renewal process without ever mentioning LTCF # 1. She got #2 renewed with no problem.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast