Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default Need help: Fox skinning/tanning

This past fall I was able kill a fox with my trusty Mathews DXT. Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar of how to skin it properly(to keep the face intact) and I don't want to attempt to tan myself. So the fox has been sitting in the freezer since November. If anyone on here would be willing to skin and tan the fox for me that would be great. I have cash. Here's a picture, I called it in with my mouth and I have no idea how but I shot it right through the skull. I'm located in Myerstown Pa 17067.

(York County)

Default Re: Need help: Fox skinning/tanning

I have to imagine there are folks here who can help, or know someone who can. The only one I know is also a member here but doesn't post much anymore, XD40Coyote. She is a full time trapper and taxidermist, and used to live in MD right below York County, but recently moved a little east and still in MD.

She spends most of her time on the forum called MarylandShooters. I'm a member there as well, I'll send her a PM and direct her to your thread, you two can work out whatever particulars.

She's pretty good and rather creative. She's a graduate of MICA, the Maryland Institute College of Art, and does jewelry as well. Pretty wild what she has crafted with expended shells, leather, claws, teeth, beads, and such. Just saying.

There is a bit of geography between Lebanon and Harford County where she is now, but as I said, she is the only one I know. I'm sure others will chime in.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Montgomery County)

You have a fairly large size hole in the top of the head; do you really want to keep the face? It would need some fairly skilled patchwork
    Opera Non Verba

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I can help, but you'd have to bring it to me in Havre de Grace. Would need your furtaker lisc #, etc. Email me at deerwm17@aol.com if interested. New website so you can see I am legit- www.brush-wolf-taxidermy.com

The bullet hole can be sewn shut just fine btw.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Carbon County)

If you did not wrap it up good it will have freezer burn. It dries out the delicate parts and makes it really hard to skin out. I used to trap fox years back and had skinned a heck of a lot of them out. Fox have very thin hides and around the ears are really thin.

(Lebanon County)

Well, I hope it doesn't have freezer burn but I haven't checked in awhile. It was in a white garbage bag but that's probably not the best to protect from freezer burn. Also i'm not worried about the hole in the head. But i'm trying to find something a little bit closer to where I live.

(Carbon County)

Here is something kind of related I thought of when I read your post. I used to play at mounting deer heads. I would wrap the capes good and freeze them for a couple months until I had more time. When the capes started to get to room temperature, the ticks would start crawling off. So much for a bad winter killing ticks off. Foxes were always real fleabags. I never put one in a freezer. I wonder if the fleas go dormant too?

(Allegheny County)

City Boy question for ya'll.... what do you do with a Fox like that besides have it stuffed and mounted or sell the skin? I would take it you can't eat a Fox.... But I have been wrong about stuff you can shoot and eat on the forum before.