Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Converting to moonclips

I've been shooting my 627 Pro and my old 25-2 for quite a while now and I have to say I'm really liking moonclips! So much so I'm considering converting my Model 10 and Model 66 to accept them.

Two gunsmith services come up when searching the web TK Custom and Ten Ring Precision. Has anyone used the services of these outfits? If yes did they live up to their word? Does anyone know of a Pennsylvania 'smith offering the same service?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(York County)

Default Re: Converting to moonclips

moonclips were designed for using rimless cartridges like 45ACP and 9X19 in revolvers.

in specific, they were an expedient designed to allow S&W and colt revolvers (1917 pattern, hand ejector 2nd model in case of the S&W) to be used as a substitute standard in WW1 when colt 1911 pattern production could not meet the demand for US service sidearms. in their earliest form 3 segments held 2 cartridges each, and you will occasionally see collector vintage ammo residual to service issue in this form. "half moons" were then developed to hold 3 cartridges each, with "full moons" being developed in the 70's.

rimmed cartridges like 38 spcl and 357 mag have no extractor groove by which the clips might hold the cartridges. you can get a similar effect, though, with "speed loaders". you can use the same K frame sized loaders with model 10 and 66 S&W revolvers.

http://www.qmuniforms.com/hks-speedl...w#.U8a3-vVHLq0

i have HKS loaders for my model 10 and 15 smiths, and use moonclips in a 25-2 and a 1915 2nd model hand ejector that was originally chambered 455 webley for english contract (about 70K made 1915-1916), then re-imported and modified to 45ACP moonclip use. i like the nylon clips from midway better for range use, as they are easier to load and unload, but for service use i would use steel clips.
    Last edited by justashooter; July 16th, 2014 at 01:42 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

Well you're almost right.

Moonclips (originally the so-called "half-moon clips" holding 3 rounds each) were designed to allow the use of Colt & S&W 1917 revolvers as a substitute standard for the M1911 pistol. Blackjack Pershing ordered a handgun for every soldier in AEF and substitutes had to be used.

Where you're wrong is that most (if not all) revolver cartridges have a thin groove ahead of the rim. Not an extractor groove but a groove none the less. That groove allows the use of a full moon clip. For my 627 Pro the moonclip holds 8 rounds of .38 Spec. or .357 Magnum. The two photos attached should give you an idea how they're set up. If not go t0 http://www.moonclips.com/default.asp for a complete explanation.

Personally I dislike the HKS speedloaders and prefer Safariland Comp III for competition and Comp II for concealed carry. Of course that dislike must give way to necessity when calibers other than .38/.357 are being used.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brick; July 16th, 2014 at 04:40 PM.

(York County)

some a-hole fixes a problem that doesn't exist every day. then some other one tells us about it.

(Susquehanna County)

I'm really thankful you've added so much to the conversation.

BTW does anyone have first hand knowledge of TK Custom or Ten Ring Precision's reputation or experience with their work?
    Last edited by Brick; July 16th, 2014 at 04:55 PM.

(Delaware County)

I had a 686+ cut by Mark Hartshorne of Pinnacle High Performance. Very pleased with his work and turn around time. You only need to send the cylinder, not the whole gun. The cylinder can go regular mail.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I had a 686+ cut by Mark Hartshorne of Pinnacle High Performance. Very pleased with his work and turn around time. You only need to send the cylinder, not the whole gun. The cylinder can go regular mail.
    Is this him in Allentown?

Pinnacle High Performance

1275 Glenlivet Drive

Suite 100

Allentown, PA. 18106

(Delaware County)

Yep. When he did mine, he was cutting batches of cylinders at the beginning of every month. Not sure if that is still the case, but worth a call to find out.

http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/

(Delaware County)

Oh, and after I had mine done, my good friend( pstew on this board) had his cut. We shoot ICORE together on a regular basis and he has been as happy with his conversion as I have been with mine.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    That's good to know there is someone local who does this. I have a 686+ Pro cut for moonclips and I like being able to take a batch of loaded clips to the range when shooting it. I have been considering having my standard 686+ cut for moonclips for convenience.