Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default .44 Magnum What load?

Hey all. I just got a S&W 629 .44 mag. 6" bbl. I want to use it mostly for deer in the future.
    I would like some experienced advice/opinions on the best factory load for deer and black bear? Thanks!

(Wayne County)

Default Re: .44 Magnum What load?

Quote Originally Posted by fireinahorn View Post
    Hey all. I just got a S&W 629 .44 mag. 6" bbl. I want to use it mostly for deer in the future.
    I would like some experienced advice/opinions on the best factory load for deer and black bear? Thanks!
    I've got a 629 but with a 8 3/8 inch barrel, and with Hornady 225 grain gummy tips, I can keep an 1 1/2 to 2 inch group at 100 yards. I plan on using it for bears this year, always wanted to kill one with a pistol.

(Montgomery County)

A couple guys made a few suggestions for me ranging from 200-240 gr. XTPs and Speers in this thread: http://forum.pafoa.org/hunting-23/25...blackhawk.html
    Opera Non Verba

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennStateCarry View Post
    A couple guys made a few suggestions for me ranging from 200-240 gr. XTPs and Speers in this thread: http://forum.pafoa.org/hunting-23/25...blackhawk.html
    Thanks for that thread link. I was having a hard time searching the site from my phone on lunch break last night. I also do not want to add a scope as of yet. I'll probably still use my rifle this year but maybe try handgun next fall if it's working out.

(Northampton County)

Was also reading of how the S&W's don't hold up to heavy shooting as well as the Ruger's?
    I don't handload as of yet so I don't think it will be an issue for my situation really. I was thinking this more pertains to guys shooting ultra heavy bullets on a constant basis? Any thoughts?

(Montgomery County)

Was also reading of how the S&W's don't hold up to heavy shooting as well as the Ruger's?
    I don't handload as of yet so I don't think it will be an issue for my situation really. I was thinking this more pertains to guys shooting ultra heavy bullets on a constant basis? Any thoughts?
    Apparently some heavier reloads in reloading manuals say for use with Super Blackhawks only, but my manual is silent on that.

When you take a look at the heaviest load offered from Buffalo Bore for the 44 mag the only warning is that the ammo is "recommended for all STEEL revolvers and rifles on today’s market. It is not suitable for scandium or aluminum alloy revolvers." And since the 629 is not aluminum or scandium alloy, I'd imagine you can shoot most any factory loads out of it with no issue.

But I would also think Linebaugh only modifies Ruger frames for a reason..
    Opera Non Verba

(Luzerne County)

I hunt with both a scoped Super Redhawk and a non-scoped Super Blackhawk. I've taken several deer with the SRH, but since I only got the SBH a year or so ago, I haven't taken anything with it yet.

Personally, I carry handloaded Hornady 240gr XTP bullets over a stout load of H110 as my deer/bear ammo. I also load 300gr XTP's as bear ammo. The 240's have performed perfectly on deer. I have yet to pull the trigger on a bear, although I'm hoping to get one soon!

I don't use factory ammo, so I can't personally recommend any.