Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default jumped on the Glock bandwagon

After years of resisting the urge, I finally caved and bought a new tactical Tupperware Glock 30sf Gen3.

I've always been a revolver type of person, going with traditional steel and wood grips. Part nostalgia, part reliability, the revolver always called to me.

But after thinking about the virtues of modern auto loaders, I decided that I needed a compact .45 acp. The Glock 30sf kept fitting my requirements.

I have not yet shot it, but I like the way it feels. It's surprisingly light weight, and I like that it holds 10+1, with larger magazine options. I don't have large hands, but the 'fatness' of this pistol really isn't a concern to me. It seems to fit fine.

I do plan to install the NY2 trigger (11 pounds), since I'm used to double action revolvers and I prefer heavier triggers for carry guns.

Any other Glock 30sf owners have any advice or thoughts on how this model performs? Durability, reliability? Peculiarities to watch for?

Thanks.
    Last edited by American1776; July 8th, 2014 at 05:09 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: jumped on the Glock bandwagon

It's a great gun and is very accurate! I had one, but sold it to buy my Ruger SR9c. I just recently ordered a Glock 30s (same model as yours, but with a thinner, lighter slide). Check out underwoodammo.com. They have some very powerful .45acp self defense rounds. I'm probably going to order a box of the 185 grain +p HPs when I get my pistol.

I suggest getting a magazine release extension and slide lever extension. They're simple upgrades that just make releasing the mag and locking the slide a lot easier. If you feel like the Glock 30sf is giving you too much muzzle jump, then look into getting a stainless steel or tungston recoil rod assembly. I had one from glockmeister.com.

Remember, you can use Glock 21 mags in your Glock 30sf, and you can also attach grip sleeves that make G21 mags fit the Glock 30 perfectly. The sleeve will have 1/16" of material sticking out behind it, but a file can smooth it out to fit the G30sf model perfectly. Botach.com has Glock mags for $25 + free shipping.

For iwb holsters I suggest N82 tactical original model holsters, but this just a personal preference. You can find them at n82tactical.com.

(Bucks County)

With modern gun comes more modern trigger give it a shot first

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    With modern gun comes more modern trigger give it a shot first
    ^ agreed. I like light, short triggers. If you like a 1911 style trigger pull, then install a 3.5 trigger bar and a reduced trigger spring. Glockmeister.com sells both. I find these triggers to be highly accurate, but this is just a personal preference.

(Philadelphia County)

The NY trigger was first developed because cops were accidently discharging their firearms because they were trained to rest their finger on the trigger (trained with revolvers ) but if you practice good trigger safety there I no reason to make it heavier.

(Berks County)

I too am a revolver kinda guy.

However, the G30sf was always a favorite of mine. It is said to be the most accurate of the production Glocks and I found it a great shooter. The 10rd mag tends to bite me on the pinky... that is about the only down side I have with it. I learned to shoot without that pinky on the mag and it still shot very well.

Mine spent too many hours in a holster on my exercising sweaty salty bod with no ill effects. It is super easy to clean, maintain and mine was always reliable after break-in. (the first couple of times at the range, the new mags can hang the last round. this did correct itself after some use.)

Oh, the mags... those brand new 10rd mags will most likely not be willing to accept that 10th round at first. Not at all unusual.

If you can find it, I liked the Speer Gold Dot 230gr HP for defense loads or Winchester Ranger Ts 230gr.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by dp2002 View Post
    I too am a revolver kinda guy.

However, the G30sf was always a favorite of mine. It is said to be the most accurate of the production Glocks and I found it a great shooter. The 10rd mag tends to bite me on the pinky... that is about the only down side I have with it. I learned to shoot without that pinky on the mag and it still shot very well.

Mine spent too many hours in a holster on my exercising sweaty salty bod with no ill effects. It is super easy to clean, maintain and mine was always reliable after break-in. (the first couple of times at the range, the new mags can hang the last round. this did correct itself after some use.)

Oh, the mags... those brand new 10rd mags will most likely not be willing to accept that 10th round at first. Not at all unusual.

If you can find it, I liked the Speer Gold Dot 230gr HP for defense loads or Winchester Ranger Ts 230gr.

Enjoy!
    Thanks for the comprehensive response.

You're not kidding about loading all 10 in the magazine. I actually cut my thumb pushing the tenth round in (the Glock magazines are sharp).

I like Speer Gold Dots for all my defensive guns; good consistent ammo.

I like how light weight this pistol is in the holster. I carry Smith N-frames and the Ruger Alaskan, and compared to those guns, I don't even feel the pistol's weight.

I've read that the Glock 30 is 'freakishly' accurate, especially for what it is (a compact polymer 45).

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    It's a great gun and is very accurate! I had one, but sold it to buy my Ruger SR9c. I just recently ordered a Glock 30s (same model as yours, but with a thinner, lighter slide). Check out underwoodammo.com. They have some very powerful .45acp self defense rounds. I'm probably going to order a box of the 185 grain +p HPs when I get my pistol.

I suggest getting a magazine release extension and slide lever extension. They're simple upgrades that just make releasing the mag and locking the slide a lot easier. If you feel like the Glock 30sf is giving you too much muzzle jump, then look into getting a stainless steel or tungston recoil rod assembly. I had one from glockmeister.com.

Remember, you can use Glock 21 mags in your Glock 30sf, and you can also attach grip sleeves that make G21 mags fit the Glock 30 perfectly. The sleeve will have 1/16" of material sticking out behind it, but a file can smooth it out to fit the G30sf model perfectly. Botach.com has Glock mags for $25 + free shipping.

For iwb holsters I suggest N82 tactical original model holsters, but this just a personal preference. You can find them at n82tactical.com.
    thanks. I purchased a Glock 21 mag at the LGS when I made the pistol purchase. I think I'll carry with the 10 round in the gun, and have the 21 mag for a reload.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    ^ agreed. I like light, short triggers. If you like a 1911 style trigger pull, then install a 3.5 trigger bar and a reduced trigger spring. Glockmeister.com sells both. I find these triggers to be highly accurate, but this is just a personal preference.
    I have a 26, 30S, and a 36 that I shoot and interchange for carry. I agree with the last several posts to buy it and shoot it before you consider putting a NY trigger on it.

I believe you may like the light trigger and it takes a while to get use to a Glock trigger and finger position.

The mag spring should relax a little after it is cycled a few times. Keep the mag loaded.

I will agree with giving the trigger a shot as is. An even heavier than factory trigger can degrade accuracy and cause you to pull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast