Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Smith and Wesson Walther PPK/S .380

Just traded in my Glock 26 on Saturday for a Smith and Wesson Walther PPK/S and I am glad I made the trade. While to the Glock 26 ran flawlessly I was looking for something thinner and easier to carry inside the waistband (glock was very blocky). I fired rounds of FMJ and hollow points out of it with no issues whatsoever. The gun is a tackdriver at ranges of 7 and 15 yards. Center mass and headshots were accomplished with little difficulty. Recoil was pleasant and satisfying with barely any muzzle flip. Fun little gun to shoot even on rapid fire. My only criticism of it was the racking of the slide to chamber a round requires a certain technique. Must be quick and swift or a round will jam (actually had a double feed). Otherwise great gun and highly recommended if you are looking for a small gun. I would not recommend this as a first gun though due to the specific technique that is required to rack and chamber round.

I've read the horror stories with the Smith PPK/S's however I did not have any issues. Was extremely hesitant about getting one due to what I read, but glad I made the decision.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Smith and Wesson Walther PPK/S .380

Mine ran fine. And like yours, it was accurate as well.
    Only mechanical issue that I have had was that the every shells would come out bulged out, and case split.

Chamber was out of spec I imagine.
    I sent it out to S&W. it took almost 2 months, butThey returned it with new barrel installed.
    I sold it to someone without even unwrapping it, as I had lost interest for it by that time

Cool little gun, it was. I hated the bulky "tang" on the back tho. that thing tear my hand up in no time.
    I bought LCP, and never looked back
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Dauphin County)

The enlarged tang was one of s&w's "improvements" supposedly to reduce slide bite for people with big hands. The original design did not have that big a tang and if you learned to grasp the gun properly the original design didn't bite either. I have owned seven PP-series pistols in recent years, German and US, and all were excellent performers. I did, however, sell on my .380s, a PPK and a PPK/S, both Interarms versions, because I did not like the recoil. I feel the round is too hot for the pistol, just my personal preference. I still have four, all in .32ACP.

The later S&W models (after 2009) are usually very good. I like mine, enjoy yours.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoGeezer View Post
    The enlarged tang was one of s&w's "improvements" supposedly to reduce slide bite for people with big hands. The original design did not have that big a tang and if you learned to grasp the gun properly the original design didn't bite either. I have owned seven PP-series pistols in recent years, German and US, and all were excellent performers. I did, however, sell on my .380s, a PPK and a PPK/S, both Interarms versions, because I did not like the recoil. I feel the round is too hot for the pistol, just my personal preference. I still have four, all in .32ACP.

The later S&W models (after 2009) are usually very good. I like mine, enjoy yours.
    It would have been, if the bottom was rounded. But they left the sharp edges there...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoGeezer View Post

Love it. Deadly with a touch of sophistication and eloquence.

(Montgomery County)

I used to have one. The best looking pistol of all time but I sold it. It consistently jammed. I could not finish one magazine without jamming. Didn't try to troubleshoot and figure out if it works with different brands of ammo. The slide was very stiff too.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jjones3211 View Post
    Just traded in my Glock 26 on Saturday for a Smith and Wesson Walther PPK/S and I am glad I made the trade. While to the Glock 26 ran flawlessly I was looking for something thinner and easier to carry inside the waistband (glock was very blocky). I fired rounds of FMJ and hollow points out of it with no issues whatsoever. The gun is a tackdriver at ranges of 7 and 15 yards. Center mass and headshots were accomplished with little difficulty. Recoil was pleasant and satisfying with barely any muzzle flip. Fun little gun to shoot even on rapid fire. My only criticism of it was the racking of the slide to chamber a round requires a certain technique. Must be quick and swift or a round will jam (actually had a double feed). Otherwise great gun and highly recommended if you are looking for a small gun. I would not recommend this as a first gun though due to the specific technique that is required to rack and chamber round.

I've read the horror stories with the Smith PPK/S's however I did not have any issues. Was extremely hesitant about getting one due to what I read, but glad I made the decision.
    My dad bought a S&W PPK/S a while back and had nothing but problems with it. Sent it back a couple of times. Ended up getting a refund and buying something else.
    Glad you got a good one.....

I have an Interarms PPK/S, SS since the 1980's. Great pistol.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

(Montgomery County)

I have one of the early Interarms PPK/s in 9 x 17 plus a Mahurin PP in 7.65 x 17 and a well pre-WWII PPK in 7.65 x 17 (it uses the butt release not the button). All shoot to POA at 7 metres which is good enough for me. Dave_n

My girlfriend got a Interarms PPK at the last Oaks gunshow for $400. We both love it and find it accurate with very manageable recoil, and she is about 110 lbs wet. I was honestly amazed at what a pleasure it was to shoot and its outstanding accuracy. I was hitting torso sized targets with ease at 50 friggin yards.
    Repeal the 17th Amendment

(Montgomery County)

I have one of those S&W produced PPK/S's.. I joke that it must have been made early in the week because it runs flawlessly and is as accurate as anything I've shot. Dont seem to tote or shoot it much these days..cos..well.. .380. But I suspect I'll hold onto it. I buddy has an interarms and for the life of me I couldnt stop getting slide bit, the tang on the S&W saves my hand.

Horrible pistol to dry fire or hand cycle rounds thru but in operation shooting live rounds, it's been awesome.