Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default asked to disarm at beaver valley medical center

my 4th was interesting , the Wife an I ended up at the beaver valley medical center with our youngest son to get stitches in his hand {not fireworks related an only 2 of them }, so we enter the building go through registration an sit to wait when we are approached by not 1 but 2 security guards clearly looking at me as if I am some kind of hoodlum , I say "hey whats up ?" the guards then asked me to disarm an leave my pistol in their lock box or leave the building , I simply said ok do you have a lock box , they replied yes we do , so I ask may I have the key to your lock box as I will not allow you sole control of my side arm , they say no its electronic an we will not give you the code . slightly stunned I reply ok I will lock it in my vehicle safe because I will not trust you with it . so outside I went secured my gun an returned , knocked politely on their door an an asked for just a moment of their time to discuss this policy of theirs , an heres where I found out how much they give a shit about being lawful an not inadvertently criminalizing any one of us who may unknowingly enter that building . I politely said to the guard "Sir you should post this on your entrance doors that firearms are to be checked with security upon entering this facility , so that you do not inadvertently make a criminal out of persons such as myself an cause awkward situations " now before I could even finish my sentence the guard turns his back on me {an very disrespectfully } says " I will take that under advisement ." fast forward 5 mins now an the triage nurse says to me " I saw and overheard what happened , an I agree with you , I also carry , the hospital will send you an email to evaluate the service here on that email is a link to the corporate headquarters , you should tell them about what happened an how they should handle such situations " I thanked her for the info an we went about our business there .

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: asked to disarm at beaver valley medical center

If it's not on the list of prohibited places to carry, you aren't a criminal for simply walking in with a handgun with no knowledge it is not permitted.

I can't imagine them providing a lock box and giving YOU the key.
    The lock box isn't there to provide a secure place for you to store your weapon, it's there (in their mind) "to keep you from killing anyone" while you're in their hospital. Why would they give you the key?

At least you tried to discuss it, even if it did fall on deaf ears.

Hope the kiddo's hand is OK.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

I would think that giving them a handgun so they can secure it in a lockbox that they have access to could be an issue unless you know them to have an LTCF or are exempt from licensing (reference 18 PA CS 6115).
    IANAL

(Beaver County)

How did they see your pistol?
    'It is Their Right, It is Their Duty, To Throw Off Such Government '

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gold eagle View Post
    How did they see your pistol?
    Note that this is posted in the "Open Carry" section.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    If it's not on the list of prohibited places to carry, you aren't a criminal for simply walking in with a handgun with no knowledge it is not permitted.

I can't imagine them providing a lock box and giving YOU the key.
    The lock box isn't there to provide a secure place for you to store your weapon, it's there (in their mind) "to keep you from killing anyone" while you're in their hospital. Why would they give you the key?

At least you tried to discuss it, even if it did fall on deaf ears.

Hope the kiddo's hand is OK.
    Emptymag, I have been to the court house here in beaver county an when I have checked in my firearm the officers showed me the lock boxes an told me to take the key with me . then an only then did I feel satisfied that my gun was safely secured from them as well as me . that's why I wanted the key .
    Kid is gonna survive .

(York County)

I'll admit that I've left my carry weapon in a lockbox on several occasions (PA State Capitol and a couple of courthouses). Even though I had the key I wasn't completely comfortable with it. First off, I don't seriously believe that the key they supplied me with was the only key they had to the box. I made sure when I placed the gun into the locker that I deliberately placed it in such a way that I could tell if it had been moved. I never found any evidence that anyone had touched my gun, so thus far I've been OK. With that said, I still make every effort not to have to do it unless it's simply unavoidable, which it sometimes is.

(Bucks County)

Your county building gives a key, Bucks County does not. I have no idea whether the boxes are mechanical or digital. I believe handing over my firearm to a deputy sheriff is quite reasonable (if I have to hand it over to anyone). Regarding a deputy sheriff as a threat of some sort is pretty off the wall (imnvho).

Re the hospital...I don't blame you for opting for the car. The whole approach is the result of some desk-flier or hospital legal adviser designing a "some plan is better than none" protocol. It probably never occurred to any of them that the point at which you start shooting up the place is when confronted by them.

Bless the nurse!!! Fantastic follow-through. Hope the wound heals quickly and well!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bodymangt View Post
    Emptymag, I have been to the court house here in beaver county an when I have checked in my firearm the officers showed me the lock boxes an told me to take the key with me . then an only then did I feel satisfied that my gun was safely secured from them as well as me . that's why I wanted the key .
    Kid is gonna survive .
    And I absolutely understand your desire to be the only one with access.

(Indiana County)

Some county court houses have you hold the key to your lock box. Other county court houses issue a receipt. In neither of these two instances are you absolutely, without-a-doubt the only one having access to your firearm if push comes to shove.

Hospital security offered to safeguard your firearm while you were otherwise occupied. How was this any different from a court facility?

Yes, they should have something posted. But I can fully understand most emergency rooms not wanting firearms present. They can be emotional places, especially when a loved one (or reasonably well liked person) is being treated. Some people have been known to over-react when things didn't go as quickly or as nicely as desired.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast