Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Picked up a new Glock 42

After trying to decide what small thin single stack pistol to pick up to fill my "I'm not carrying a gun" role, I purchased a new Glock 42 with three mags and Pearce pinky extensions a couple of days ago.

I said that I would only buy a 42 if my three criteria was met:
    1. I got a chance to shoot one (rental at local range).
    2. Extra mags became available (bought a third one).
    3. Pearce pinky extensions became available (they are).

I waivered between another Walther PPS (have owned three already - like the gun a lot, but hate the flip/flap mag release). Springfield XDs9 - had a chance to shoot a buddy's on several occasions, ran it through some drills; liked it but just not enough I guess. Or one of the new "non-external safety" Shields, like the gun, have shot a friends (external safety version) several times, but I guess I just didn't like it enough.

So it was a Glock 42 - not a big fan of the .380, but since this is a 10-12 times a year gun, I will live with it (for now). Going to the range this afternoon to run some rounds through it.

Have a couple of holsters ordered for it, hopefully one will get here before the 4th (projected date is July 3, so my fingers are crossed) so that I can carry it to our 4th of July outing.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Picked up a new Glock 42

Great gun, awesome shooter. I override the slide stop 100% of the time though, not a big deal.

(Centre County)

I wanted one. I found one, but it was in store which I vowed to never set foot in, and no one else in area had one.
    So I settled in LCP.
    LCP is great. But G42 is more practical gun IMO(big enough to shoot comfortably, and small enough to carry it in pocket.
    Better trigger, and usable sights.
    But mag is expensive tho
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

Just got back from the range. After cleaning/lubing the gun, I ran 50 rounds of Magtech FMJ and 25 rounds of Ranger Talon JHP (95 gr).

I had one failure to feed with the Magtech during a failure to stop drill. The Ranger Talon shot to a perfect point of aim at 10 yards for me.

I ran some double tap drills, failure to fire drills, empty reload drills, and one-handed and weak handed only drills. This gun (as was my experience with the rental gun that I shot earlier this month) was VERY easy to shoot. A perfect gun for someone that is not going to put a lot of range time in with their gun (I know, nobody would ever do that ...).

My wife fired some double tap and failure to stop drills with it (her EDC gun is a Glock 26), she concurred with my thoughts about this gun, and even commented that with her long fingers, she was still able to shoot this gun effectively (sometimes this has not been the case for her when using small single column guns).
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.