Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Head Hurts

(Indiana County)

Default My Head Hurts

WJAC-TV (Channel 6, Johnstown) just a filler piece on their six o'clock news about what to do in a traffic stop when carrying. You know, use your turn signals, keep your hands on the steering wheel, don't make any sudden moves, etc., etc. They then put on some cop spouting he'd prefer if he knew if the driver was armed, or not. "When you hand over your driver's license, also hand over your gun license," or words to that effect.

I haven't been able to find the piece on their website, but...

After listening to their feel-good tripe, my head hurts.
    Last edited by Statkowski; June 27th, 2014 at 07:07 PM.

Default Re: My Head Hurts

Just more misinformation/opinion from the LEO and MSM.
    "The first time any mans freedom is trodden on we're all damaged."JeanLucPicard

Just one cop's opinion..

Everyone has an opinion, Mine is when a cop stops me I prefer it be to give me tickets to a sports event.. Hockey, Baseball, Football.. they have plenty of reasons to stop me.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(York County)

As a former LEO, I can tell you that you are within your rights and doing yourself a big favor by responding to each question the officer asks you with "I am not required to answer questions without an attorney present". Yes, even the seemingly harmless "where are you headed/coming from", "where do you work" questions.

When an officer stops you, you are required to give license, registration, proof of insurance, and nothing more. The questions like, "do you know how fast you were going", "have you been drinking tonight", or "are there weapons in the vehicle" are all guilt-seeking questions designed to get you to cough up self-incriminating statements. You are not required to answer any questions without an attorney present. Period. If they say "well you're not under arrest" you can respond with "but I'm being subject to official questioning" which should trigger a Miranda warning, but rarely does on traffic stops.

I AM NOT A LAWYER, but this is standard training that all cops receive. They all know they're not allowed to ask those questions, but they do anyway to try to hem you up. Be polite and respectful, but refuse to answer questions. If you feel you have been wrongly charged or harassed by police, always seek the advice of competent legal counsel.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatCrazyMtnGuy View Post
    As a former LEO, I can tell you that you are within your rights and doing yourself a big favor by responding to each question the officer asks you with "I am not required to answer questions without an attorney present". Yes, even the seemingly harmless "where are you headed/coming from", "where do you work" questions.

When an officer stops you, you are required to give license, registration, proof of insurance, and nothing more. The questions like, "do you know how fast you were going", "have you been drinking tonight", or "are there weapons in the vehicle" are all guilt-seeking questions designed to get you to cough up self-incriminating statements. You are not required to answer any questions without an attorney present. Period. If they say "well you're not under arrest" you can respond with "but I'm being subject to official questioning" which should trigger a Miranda warning, but rarely does on traffic stops.

I AM NOT A LAWYER, but this is standard training that all cops receive. They all know they're not allowed to ask those questions, but they do anyway to try to hem you up. Be polite and respectful, but refuse to answer questions. If you feel you have been wrongly charged or harassed by police, always seek the advice of competent legal counsel.
    ^^^^^^^^^^ WINNER!

CL

(Delaware County)

To the OP
    Note the officer said He'd prefer you did .....
    That's nice. I'm sure you'd prefer he/she didn't pull you over in the first place. My advice is to google a bit and find the law and understand it. Don't take any word from people on a forum (even though they may be 100% correct).
    The reason is that if pulled over and you do the wrong thing they don't accept that Jackxyz from the PAFOA or other forum said it's ok.

Knowledge is a powerful thing and will help keep you out of trouble

(Delaware County)

Besides knowing the law here's a great video you should watch several times over. It's a half hour long but well worth it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamltnblue View Post
    To the OP
    Note the officer said He'd prefer you did .....

Pretty sure the OP knows what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ThatCrazyMtnGuy View Post

A few years back I got pulled over for acceding the speed limit on the parkway, in a construction zone, at 5:30am, leo asked me were I was going, I said going to work. He told me, I could loose my license, for acceding the speed limit in a construction zone, I didn't argue. He just gave me a warning, and let me go.
    I wonder what would have happened if I said, "I am not required to answer questions without an attorney present".

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Pretty sure the OP knows what's up.

You can be pretty sure but the advice still stands.
    Don't be pretty sure you want to call someone to bail you out of jail because you didn't know the law or didn't do the right thing.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast