Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Head Hurts

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: My Head Hurts

The only time I will tell an officer who pulls me over whether or not I have a gun in my car is if it is, or would be, clearly exposed during the stop. If the cop is going to see it, I want to tell him it's there first. Otherwise, my lips are sealed.

On a side note, I was pulled over once at about 3 AM on a very rural road for suspected DUI. When the cop got to my window, he asked, "Have you been drinking?" I didn't want to lie. So, I said, "Yes." He then asked, "How many did you have, and what were they?" My honest reply was "Officer, I lost count of the number, but they were Diet Cokes at my mom's house...none of them had any alcohol."

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post

The thread is a lot more aggressive and the rubber compound used different, the tire is more flexible. You don't want to drive these too long on hot asphalt as they wear a lot faster, but on snow and Ice, they are a world of difference.

When I was in PA, i had never seen the alpine logo on any "Winter" tires there, and later found out it is because they are in reality 4 season winter.

PS, If you do buy a set of winter radials, be sure to stay in Canada a day or two, produce the tire bill at the border duty free office and get your taxes back!

Here is an interesting link that explains winter tires and why use 4 not just 2
    http://www.apa.ca/tire_wintertireratings.asp
    Meh, I only put snows on the front of my front wheel drive beater. First time I've ever had them on anything for the last three winters, and in almost 30 years of driving. Only reason I did was because it's so light, I got no traction. It made a big difference. Would a set of four be better? I have no doubt that it would, but two on the front is all that I need. Before that I always had either 4wd trucks or rwd cars. Used to spend my winters in Vermont and never got stuck. I like driving in the snow, I think it's fun. Only thing I hate about it are the snow chickens that like to squat in the left lane with their hazards flashing, doing 35. Move the hell over if you're gonna creep!

Modern tire wisdom is pretty flawed. Most places will refuse to put two new tires on the front only on a front wheel drive car. Their idiotic logic is that if you lose control, it will be easier to correct with new rubber on the back.
    My logic and experience says that if you have good tires on the front, you aren't going to lose control. The back tires don't really do all that much. They're pretty much just along for the ride.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    The only time I will tell an officer who pulls me over whether or not I have a gun in my car is if it is, or would be, clearly exposed during the stop. If the cop is going to see it, I want to tell him it's there first. Otherwise, my lips are sealed.

On a side note, I was pulled over once at about 3 AM on a very rural road for suspected DUI. When the cop got to my window, he asked, "Have you been drinking?" I didn't want to lie. So, I said, "Yes." He then asked, "How many did you have, and what were they?" My honest reply was "Officer, I lost count of the number, but they were Diet Cokes at my mom's house...none of them had any alcohol."
    EXACTLY. If for some reason I'm asked to get out, then I'd inform the officer first if i was carrying on my person, and perhaps produce my LTCF from my shirt pocket before doing so. There is no other reason to disclose. If you are asked, you don't have to answer questions like "are you carrying any weapons". In fact, supposedly in P.A. it's not even ilegal to lie to a pólice officer up to and including the state level. BUT NEVER LIE TO A FEDERAL OFFICER - IT'S A FELONY!!!

I'm still on the fence about the lying part. I mean if you DO lie...and then have to disclose, you look like a dweeb. Maybe they can't actually charge you with anything if you're otherwise legal, but you will simply start having this certain aura around you as far as the local authorities go. And cops can find ways to take up your time and make you miserable. Just things to keep in mind.

Funny, i never told a police i had a gun in my car, never told them i had dentures either..

Once tho, i had a sore back and did say I would have to get out to get my wallet out... NATURALLY i had to fart too...
    Overall, i rarely got pulled over in all my life, a few times tho when I spoke to the police on the road, was when i thanked them for DUI checks or here in Canada, Tire checks.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Lackawanna County)

not sure how this applies on way home from work, driving n.e. extension turnpike driving through construction, the little sign that says when flashing speed limit 45mph or 55 mph don't recall, flashimg light was not on so i'm driving with a co worker cruise control 68 70 mph co worker says better slow down i said no flashing light, sure enough around long curve crew working and state police car tucked in behind mound of dirt. he pulled me over and got out of his vehicle like his hair was on fire and asked do u know how fast, i said yes 68 mph he tensely said its aconstruction zone, i said flashihg light was not activated and if there is an accident contractor is liable he gave deer in the headlight look and said well please slow down thank you. i did at the time work road construction, sorry for the long winded story however a true one

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamltnblue View Post
    Besides knowing the law here's a great video you should watch several times over. It's a half hour long but well worth it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
    If you haven't watched this video you should. Invaluable information here that could really save your ass some day.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    My logic and experience says that if you have good tires on the front, you aren't going to lose control. The back tires don't really do all that much. They're pretty much just along for the ride.

I have often seen FWD vehicles, minivans mostly, off the side of the road with their headlights shining back into the direction they came from. Sucks when the back end beats the front end when going off the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Delaware County)

I don't know but My 82 year old Mother knows how to handle the cops. A few years ago (When she was 79) she was pulled over for not completely stopping at a stop sign. The poor bastard cop got a reaming that melted him. When she told us about it she was still pissed and couldn't believe he pulled her over.
    Guess they don't train the young cops how to handle grandmom.

(Allegheny County)

Having now read through this entire thread, the one thought that sticks out above all others is being a smart-ass during a police encounter is a bad idea. It's not likely you are all that clever, and very likely an experienced officer has heard it all before.

The answer to the question "what should I do" is always "it depends." And you don't always know upon what.

Be polite. Be businesslike. If you drink and drive with any frequency: (1) stop it; and (2) failing No. 1, go talk to a lawyer about what to say.

If you think you have done something bad, the advice early on in this thread about not having to answer certain questions without a lawyer present may get you pinched, but that's better than getting convicted because you provided the evidence with which to convict you.

An hour by the side of the road, or even a night in jail, are not fun, but they are not the end of the world, either.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    Having now read through this entire thread, the one thought that sticks out above all others is being a smart-ass during a police encounter is a bad idea. It's not likely you are all that clever, and very likely an experienced officer has heard it all before.

The answer to the question "what should I do" is always "it depends." And you don't always know upon what.

Be polite. Be businesslike. If you drink and drive with any frequency: (1) stop it; and (2) failing No. 1, go talk to a lawyer about what to say.

If you think you have done something bad, the advice early on in this thread about not having to answer certain questions without a lawyer present may get you pinched, but that's better than getting convicted because you provided the evidence with which to convict you.

An hour by the side of the road, or even a night in jail, are not fun, but they are not the end of the world, either.
    All good thoughts.

One of the more counter-intuitive things I've seen was a guy who was driving drunk, caused an accident, and ran into a nearby bar, where he immediately chugged several drinks.

Looks bad. Worked out for him, because he had witnesses who could testify to his imbibing AFTER the accident, meaning that he avoided a DUI conviction. All BAC evidence was tainted by the post-accident chugging.

Similarly, there was a young former prosecutor who fled the scene after a probable DUI-related fatality, avoided all LEO contact until the next day, and thereby avoided prosecution for the DUI. He was open to "fleeing the scene" charges, though, but they worked out less than the DUI would have been.

You really have to understand the game before you play.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast