Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Travel south with gun but no ammo question?

So, I've read through a lot of these travel threads but not sure I've seen this specific question. Ill be travelling down to Florida for several weeks and taking 95 all the way crossing through all the usual states.

I want to avoid having to keep track of what to do in what state (i.e. remove magazines, remove rounds, separate, etc). Would I run into trouble anywhere if I just take my firearm on the trip, locked in my console vault (http://www.consolevault.com/) but no ammunition at all anywhere in the vehicle. I can just buy ammo when I get to Florida.

Are there any states where I couldn't spend the night as well along the way. Thanks for the help! I have my Pa LTCF if that matters at all.

(York County)

Default Re: Travel south with gun but no ammo question?

I would stay out of Jersey, and stay out of Wash DC. Through Maryland take it out of the console and put it in the trunk.

After that you're in good shape with your console vault all the way down, and you have reciprocity on carry in VA, NC, and FL.

Posting from my phone, might want to double a check this.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the quick response. Its an SUV so no trunk to utilize. Would the locking console vault not meet the requirement? Or would I need some sort of other lockbox to put in the back area? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I would stay out of Jersey, and stay out of Wash DC. Through Maryland take it out of the console and put it in the trunk.

After that you're in good shape with your console vault all the way down, and you have reciprocity on carry in VA, NC, and FL.

Posting from my phone, might want to double a check this.

(York County)

Again, for Maryland only, you're going to want to have it obviously and well out of the reach of the driver, and preferably any occupants as well. The term SUV can mean just about anything these days so I can't picture it if I don't know what it is.

The governing federal law on your transport through Maryland will be F.O.P.A., or Firearms Owners Protection Act. If I were on my computer I could pull up the link for you and quote it myself. Try googling "traveling under fopa" and see what comes up. The definition is actually rather succinct. Fortunately MD will be your only real.concern as you don't have to travel through NJ or DC.

(York County)

Here's what I was looking for, USC, 18, 44, 926A...

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

(Franklin County)

I would double check and reread 18, 926A again and decide if your "console" safe is legal.

" during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console".

Whether or not you take ammunition doesn't matter as long as the firearm is empty going through MD and DC. In SC you can not have the firearm on your person but you can have it loaded in the glove box. Your LTCF covers you through FL, GA, NC and VA. Comply with the above and don't stop in MD or DC.
    Last edited by ray h; June 27th, 2014 at 11:27 AM.

(Delaware County)

Thanks - that is helpful. This looks like the relevant piece:

That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Its an Expedition. Appears that my console vault wont pass the test.

Here's what I was looking for, USC, 18, 44, 926A...

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by skylark View Post
    Thanks - that is helpful. This looks like the relevant piece:

That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Its an Expedition. Appears that my console vault wont pass the test.
    A locked container can be a lot of things, its only one state, it doesn't say it has to be expensive or impregnable. Think of the plastic case your pistol came in when you bought it. Does it have loops to slip a padlock through? You're golden.

All it says is "locked container". You want to do your due diligence, but don't over think it.

(Franklin County)

A locked container can be a lot of things, its only one state, it doesn't say it has to be expensive or impregnable. Think of the plastic case your pistol came in when you bought it. Does it have loops to slip a padlock through? You're golden.

All it says is "locked container". You want to do your due diligence, but don't over think it.
    AND pay special attention to the wording.
    "firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container".
    I'm not suggesting anyone else do this but I have traveled through MD on my motorcycle CC with the ammo and mag locked under the seat, because of the OR, I'm technically legal.

(Bucks County)

Keep the doors locked and do not unlock or open them, thus, a locked container.

Seriously, some states law doesn't care if the there is no ammo aboard or even if the gun is inoperable.

You might want to look into having an unloaded shotgun aboard rather then a handgun. For some reason, many laws focus on the dreaded handgun and allow long guns.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast