Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Planned vs. Impromptu Purchases

The other day, I was in my LGS purchasing ammo. On such trips, I usually do a little "window shopping" at the gun case, but usually it is to handle guns for future consideration, etc. For the first time, I made an impromptu purchase. They had a slightly used "USA" rolled Gen 4 Glock 17. I am partial to American made guns, and it still had some "Glock gold" on the slide, so I added it to my collection. At $400, it was tough to pass up even though I was just planning on buying ammo.

All my other guns were purchased after researching and deciding I wanted a specific gun and then doing some shopping around for it. I've even had my LGS specifically order firearms I've wanted. This is first time I've gone into a store without the intention of buying a gun but doing so anyway.

So, my questions are...

Do most of you plan/research/save for a specific gun or are there impromptu purchasers out there?

For the impromptu purchasers out there...

What gun did you get when you weren't planning on it, but just saw it and bought it?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Planned vs. Impromptu Purchases

I haven't ever made an impulse buy when it comes to guns, but then again, I don't have the disposible income to do so. My research normally consists of cruising forums for any known issues with that particular gun, seeing what aftermarket parts are available, and when possible, handling it. I will say I have ordered a few from Davidson's without handling them. That's about as much impulse as I can afford right now.
    5.56mm, 9mm, .40SW, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .22LR, 12GA, .45-70, 7.62x54R

(Washington County)

I usually plan and research. I am a glock man myself, if I find a gen 4 used at a good price I usually buy. Kind of just what you did.

For me, glocks require no research. I know what I am getting.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Bucks County)

Usually happens to me...ill be looking at particular guns and then something else will just catch my eye and have to have it or run across a good deal too good to let go...

I dont buy guns i have not researched in the past though..aka wouldnt just buy a gun i knew nothing about on impulse...

(Lackawanna County)

I will admit that my brother has an Austrian Gen 4 Glock 17 that I have shot prior to my purchase, so I was familiar with the gun, and I liked his.

What pushed me over the edge to the impromptu purchase was it's USA manufacturing, the price, and the fact it was used. With used guns, you never can tell if it will still be there the next time you go after more research/deliberation.

(Beaver County)

Mostly I'll research prior to buying,but if a "bargain" pops up I will sometimes grab it if I have the money available.

Usually it would be one of the guns on the "short" list of things that I am already looking for.

At gun shops or shows I'm always window shopping.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Hokkmike Guest

Sorry, not enough money to go impromptu.

(Mercer County)

My firearms purchases for the last 10 or so years are impromptu because I have all the firearms and calibers I want or need and have been purchasing "odd ball" firearms or classic [collectable firearms].

My last two revolver buys were Colt Generation One Single Action Armys

My last two rifle buys were vintage rifle in calibers of 416 Rigby and 500 A Square.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

As others have said, would not purchase a gun I hadn't looked into or considered before, even if it were a great deal used (how would I know if I knew nothing about the gun?)

Of course, I have a list of items that I want/would like to purchase. That said, if I come across a good deal on one when in a shop, I will certainly buy it (if the cash flow allows.) But again, I would have already had this gun in mind and know a little something about it.

(Bucks County)

Onliest impromptu I can recall buying was when I responded to an ad in the paper years ago where a LGS was selling P-1s for cheap. I spotted an M44 in the rack for $68. It was in decent shape and I knew zilch about them but purchased it. Got on line and researched it and learned about Mosins. Glad I did it.

Like others have said, $$$ is not that discretionary and I have resisted some things I would really like to obtain, like a take-down .22 pump that seems to be worth $600 these days.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast