Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Wrong info at castle doctrine meeting?

This is from an article in the hazleton standard speaker.
    Szumski explained the concealed weapon law which means someone can walk around with a gun outside in a holster in full view if they had a license. However, they cannot cover it with a shirt or jacket and if they have a gun in their car. He advised gun owners to place the ammunition in the trunk and the empty gun in full view on the seat even if they have a license.
    I thought you can open carry without a ltcf and im damn near positive you dont have to put your ammo in the trunk if you have a ltcf.I was wondering if that is what was said at this meeting or if it was poorly written.heres a link to the article.http://m.standardspeaker.com/news/ca...ship-1.1708843

Default Re: Wrong info at castle doctrine meeting?

I hope that this is merely a case of the person writing the article misunderstanding what was presented because that stuff you quoted is not only factually inacurate(there is no license involved at all in open carry), but dangerous, in my opinion. Leaving a gun lying in plain view on the seat next to you in your car is a good way to get yanked from your car at gunpoint and handcuffed during a traffic stop. If you do not have a ltcf and you are transporting a gun there are some very specific rules about how that must be done and under what circumstances you can do it, and none of them involve laying it in full view on the seat beside you. Also, with a ltcf you can carry a loaded weapon anywhere not prohibited by law(including you car).
    Last edited by staylo; June 25th, 2014 at 08:34 AM.
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warewolf94 View Post
    Szumski explained the concealed weapon law which means someone can walk around with a gun outside in a holster in full view if they had a license. However, they cannot cover it with a shirt or jacket and if they have a gun in their car. He advised gun owners to place the ammunition in the trunk and the empty gun in full view on the seat even if they have a license.
    I think we need to write to both the Sheriff who was quoted and the writer of this story and maybe the others that were responsible for this misinformation seminar and make sure that it is corrected. It would be better coming from someone from Luzerne County, but think I'm going to put something together tonight to send as a concerned citizen of PA.
    Last edited by knight0334; June 25th, 2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Fixed quote BB code

(York County)

Misinformation is a great weapon. It's been used for centuries. Imagine what would happen if people actually do what is written in this.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Have any of us attended one of these seminars and NOT heard any serious lies or misinformation? We should have some buttons made up for these events - "PAFOA. Keeping It Real" and show up with copies of state firearms laws in hand.

(Indiana County)

As of a few minutes ago, no comments have been posted on the article in question. That's not to say that any have not been submitted, just that any that may have must be approved first, and that hasn't happened, yet.

I can see it now, the infamous Joe Biden Defense, "But, your Honor, that's what the County Sheriff told us."

(Philadelphia County)

Warewolf missquoted.

"Szumski explained the concealed weapon law which means someone can walk around with a gun outside in a holster in full view if they had a license. However, they cannot cover it with a shirt or jacket and if they have a gun in their car."

From the article.

"Szumski explained the concealed weapon law does not mean that someone with a license can walk around with a gun outside in a holster in full view. However, it can be covered with a shirt or a jacket, or can be kept in a vehicle."

Of course the open carry part is incorrect.

I don't see any mention of placing the firearm on the seat in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Have any of us attended one of these seminars and NOT heard any serious lies or misinformation? We should have some buttons made up for these events - "PAFOA. Keeping It Real" and show up with copies of state firearms laws in hand.
    As a matter of fact, yes, I have.

Rep. Mark Keller held one at the Shermans Dale Fire Company (Perry Co), recently. They had room for 150 people, so advance sign-up was required. Well over 200 showed up & they accommodated everybody. Some attendees had to park 1/4 mile away. There wasn't any standing room left in the banquet hall.

Present was Rep. Keller, Sheriff Nace, (the one being sued for not releasing names of LTCF holders to the county auditor), State Police representatives & an attorney familiar with PA gun laws.

They gave presentations, advice & stayed until every question anybody had was answered. Some of them did this on their own time & they all actually acted like they wanted to be there.

When it was all over, the State Police directed traffic on PA 34 until we were all out of the parking lot.

This one was a positive experience.
    Last edited by IronButt; June 25th, 2014 at 02:57 PM.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

I'm from Joisey and even I know that article is full of fail. SMH

No license is needed to OC in PA except in Phili.(this law is illegal)

With a LTCF you may CC on your person and in a vehicle or OC in Phili.

With a CCW from any state you may carry in a vehicle and OC, except in Phili.

Some exceptions apply. School zone, Fed. bld., court house etc.
    Last edited by libra8; June 25th, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
    "The first time any mans freedom is trodden on we're all damaged."JeanLucPicard

Quote Originally Posted by Warewolf94 View Post
    I thought you can open carry without a ltcf and im damn near positive you dont have to put your ammo in the trunk if you have a ltcf.I was wondering if that is what was said at this meeting or if it was poorly written.heres a link to the article.http://m.standardspeaker.com/news/ca...ship-1.1708843
    Wrong.

Concealed carry does not mean open carry. You can open carry in Pennsylvania where not prohibited and not in a city of the first class (for that you need a LCTF).

I don't know what this idiot was smoking, but I can sure as hell conceal my weapon with a license. It's called CONCEAL CARRY.

You must have a valid LCTF to carry a handgun in your car, concealed or open. Otherwise, it must be locked in a separate, locked compartment with ammunition in a separate compartment (ie up with you).

Who is feeding you this garbage?