Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default 1911 chucking brass like crazy?

Hey guys,

After a couple months(!), I finally had the chance to take my Remington 1911 out of its box and send some .45's down range. Well, I'm happy to report that a) my accuracy with the 1911 seems to be better than my accuracy with an M9/Sig P226, and that b) no salsa jars, tubs of expired cottage cheese, or containers of yogurt made it out alive.

I did, however notice a couple things that made me leery.

First off, it was throwing brass out like crazy. While my Sig was creating a nice (fairly neat) pile of brass maybe 6 inches to a foot away, the 1911 was tossing brass anywhere from 2-4 feet off to the side, to 3-4 feet almost directly behind me. So, I'm just wondering if this is common to 1911s (with the scalloped/extended ejection port), if it sounds like a problem with my ejector, or if it's just because it's new.

Secondly, on every case that was chucked out, there was a pretty dark splotch (not quite a circle) on one area, near the top end of the brass. I'm wondering if this might signal a problem, if it's because the firearm is brand new, or if it might be a sign that it wasn't oiled/lubed up enough. (I put some RemOil on the gun the day before shooting: wiped off a lot of the excess, but tried to make sure it wasn't dry.)

Now, I just want to say this gun is new, and this is my first 1911. It's only had 46 rounds through it -- from a Winchester White Box bulk pack, so not super high-end ammunition but also not cheap crap. I know there's a good chance the gun hasn't "settled in" yet -- as most 1911s tend to have teething issues for the first couple hundred rounds. But these things just struck me as a little odd.

Maybe I'm just being overly cautious, but I know we have a few 1911 experts here, and I wanted to check to see if these might be signs of future problems to watch for?

Thanks!

(Elk County)

Default Re: 1911 chucking brass like crazy?

Congrats on the new 1911.

From what you describe, IMO that R1 is running just fine -- both case ejection and the smoked cartridge case.

Not to worry; fire away.

Noah, Owner of 12 1911s, and former Marine Small Arms Repairman of hundreds of M1911A1s.
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; June 22nd, 2014 at 06:45 PM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

I think this is pretty normal. Compared to the M9/226 which are most likely both 9mm there's less power in the round with a good amount of slide mass to move so naturally the slide moves slower not throwing them as far. The 45 being mor powerful and moving the same basic slide mass will recoil harder and send that slide back with authority to positively eject the brass and send it further.
    If this isn't something you like try a SLIGHTLY stronger recoil spring to slow the slide down a bit. Just don't go too high as you can mess up the timing of the pistol and crest other issues.

Sounds just like mine 1911. Just keep fireing away. I worry what's going on in front of me, not what's going on behind me.
    NRA Endowment Member, N-SSA #9526v

(Delaware County)

Ah, wonderful! I'm really glad to hear it's nothing to be concerned about -- I did a lot of research on 1911s prior to buying one, and I don't remember ever seeing anything about scorched brass.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid k View Post
    Sounds just like mine 1911. Just keep fireing away. I worry what's going on in front of me, not what's going on behind me.
    It was only when I went to find spent rounds casings that I realized how far it was chucking brass. Otherwise, I was just enjoying putting rounds on target

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I think this is pretty normal. Compared to the M9/226 which are most likely both 9mm there's less power in the round with a good amount of slide mass to move so naturally the slide moves slower not throwing them as far. The 45 being mor powerful and moving the same basic slide mass will recoil harder and send that slide back with authority to positively eject the brass and send it further.
    If this isn't something you like try a SLIGHTLY stronger recoil spring to slow the slide down a bit. Just don't go too high as you can mess up the timing of the pistol and crest other issues.
    I never considered that it would be a symptom of having a much more powerful round, but now you mention it, it makes perfect sense. I think the current recoil spring will be fine -- the first shot was... more than I was expecting (I had only fired 9mm Lugers before), but once I adjusted my grip, the recoil was really smooth. Rather a fun weapon to shoo.! As for flinging brass, I'll just make sure I don't stand too close to anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Congrats on the new 1911.

From what you describe, IMO that R1 is running just fine -- both case ejection and the smoked cartridge case.

Not to worry; fire away.

Noah Owner of 12 1911s, and former Marine Small Arms Repairman of hundreds of M1911A1s.
    Thanks! 1911s have a nice kick -- I can see why it's such a popular handgun! I just wish the rounds were cheaper... (maybe time to start taking up reloading? )
    Last edited by ChemicalReaper; June 22nd, 2014 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks! 1911s have a nice kick -- I can see why it's such a popular handgun! I just wish the rounds were cheaper... (maybe time to start taking up reloading? )[/QUOTE]

Search around. My walmart had FMJ for 38 bucks for 100 rounds.
    NRA Endowment Member, N-SSA #9526v

Hold on just a minute!

There is a definite problem there. I think you should clean it, put it away and IF i go back to the states I will take that dangerous brass flinger off your hands..

You will poke someones eyes out with that thing, do not shoot it any more, just put it away. IF i cant get there fast enough, i will designate someone to go pick it up so you are safe from it.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Hold on just a minute!

There is a definite problem there. I think you should clean it, put it away and IF i go back to the states I will take that dangerous brass flinger off your hands..

You will poke someones eyes out with that thing, do not shoot it any more, just put it away. IF i cant get there fast enough, i will designate someone to go pick it up so you are safe from it.
    Thank god! You might want to wear some heavy clothing, too -- just in case it decides to start chucking brass out on its own!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Noah Owner of 12 1911s, and former Marine Small Arms Repairman of hundreds of M1911A1s.
    Any "said" 1911s leave "said" service with "said" Armorer?

(Lackawanna County)

Sounds normal to me.

I'm still surprised with how far my 1911 flings extracted cases.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast