Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Ranges within 2hrs of the Philly area

Hey guys. So me and my buddies who shoot are starting to get into the market for a new range in PA. We're all in the Philly area more or less, and were looking for something within about two hours. One of our thoughts was maybe something in the Lancaster area? It's within the time frame, and the thought was it could have some good ranges, being sufficiently away from the Philly anti gun bias. Some things we hope to see in the range:

-Able to shoot from 7, 15, and 25 yards or more, but those three distances at very least. If it could be varied anywhere in between, that would be cool as well. Pistol and rifle.

-Indoor or outdoor is fine. Not a big deal either way.

-No restrictions on number of rounds loaded into a magazine or speed of fire.

-Able to bring your own ammo and firearms or purchase your own ammo on location if possible. Also friendly towards home loads.

-If the range could have a pro shop/gun shop that kind of thing attached as well, that would be awesome.

-A place where you can clean your firearms on the premise. Again, not a deal breaker, but very helpful if possible.

-Ability to shoot steel or do shoot/move drills. This one is tougher, not a deal breaker, but would be awesome if possible.

-No restriction on shoot from the draw or shooting from retention.

-Reasonable yearly rates for membership, but if possible, also allowing people to pay for a day or by the hour or something like that. Stipulations on membership like work days or something like that is fine.

Unfortunately, I've done the majority of my shooting at a small handful of ranges, and all in the Philly area, so I don't have a lot of experience with what most ranges actually have to offer. I have no clue if I'm being fanatical with my requirements or things that I like in a range or not. Either way, any and all suggestions are welcomed. I really appreciate the time that you've taken to look this post over. Thanks,

m16

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Ranges within 2hrs of the Philly area

Quote Originally Posted by m16a View Post

-No restrictions on number of rounds loaded into a magazine or speed of fire.

-Ability to shoot steel or do shoot/move drills.

-No restriction on shoot from the draw or shooting from retention.
    There are wayyyy too many liability issues for any legit range to allow shoot/move drills- typically that is only with private lessons with private instructors in high end self defense courses in privately owned locations.

Some ranges restrict the speed of fire to 1 shot per 2 seconds or so, some do not. I've never come across a range that limited the number of rounds you could load in a magazine at once, as that would be somewhat difficult to enforce anyway. I do agree with you the whole limit on number of rounds fired within a certain period of time annoys me. I know Target World in Lansdale limits you, but French Creek in Phoenixville does not. I tend to fire slower with my .40 or 9mm as the ammunition is more expensive, but with my .22LR I literally have 2,000 rounds at home so I like to sometimes just unload the entire magazine at the target sometimes if it's permissible.
    -jFw

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Storm88000 View Post
    There are wayyyy too many liability issues for any legit range to allow shoot/move drills- typically that is only with private lessons with private instructors in high end self defense courses in privately owned locations.

Some ranges restrict the speed of fire to 1 shot per 2 seconds or so, some do not. I've never come across a range that limited the number of rounds you could load in a magazine at once, as that would be somewhat difficult to enforce anyway. I do agree with you the whole limit on number of rounds fired within a certain period of time annoys me. I know Target World in Lansdale limits you, but French Creek in Phoenixville does not. I tend to fire slower with my .40 or 9mm as the ammunition is more expensive, but with my .22LR I literally have 2,000 rounds at home so I like to sometimes just unload the entire magazine at the target sometimes if it's permissible.

Plenty of ranges still have rules concerning mag limits and rate of fire. PGL ranges for instance.

OP, if you locate this range you seek, be sure to let's us know where.

(Berks County)

Lower prov, but you have to qualify. Then again would you want to be surrounded by just anyone doing what you want to do?

(Lehigh County)

Oh I'm sure there are ranges with mag limits, I just personally never came across one myself. Just the rate of fire.
    -jFw

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Lower prov, but you have to qualify. Then again would you want to be surrounded by just anyone doing what you want to do?
    FYI, it can take years to get that qualifiaction

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    As long as they're following the 4 rules of firearm safety, what is the problem? It doesnt matter how many rules you have, you can't fix stupid. Qualifying just proves you can train a monkey, it doesn't make them think for themselves. Instead of trying to fix issues by rules, why don't they remove the problem that caused the rule. I'm sure every single additional rule that the range has can be assigned a name of a person that inflicted it. The bylaws are 62 pages long......

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    FYI, it can take years to get that qualification
    And what does this qualification fix after you've waited years......

My suggestion is find someone with land and use their private range....

(Montgomery County)

And what does this qualification fix after you've waited years......[/QUOTE]

I am just letting the OP know that if he thinks he can just go and get qualified he will be disappointed. LPRGC is definitely NOT the place for him given his requirements.

(Lancaster County)

http://www.tropgun.com (Trop Gun Shop) has a great range....... Just opened up their new facility in 2013.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast