Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Anybody else hate the sights on the Springfield Mil Spec?

Is it just me? I am not the best shot but I am not a bad shot either and I really have trouble hitting consistently with my Mil Spec. Idk what it is, I think for me the sights are just soo be and have far too much play to aim it properly. I cannot imagine sights which would work worse for me.

Am I crazy?
    Repeal the 17th Amendment

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Anybody else hate the sights on the Springfield Mil Spec?

Believe it or not those are an IMPROVEMENT over the original G.I. sights!

Get it refitted with a good set of Novaks or whatever style you like.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Believe it or not those are an IMPROVEMENT over the original G.I. sights!
    See, thats what they tell me but I have very similar sights to the original 1911 on my Colt 1903, the luger, etc, and I am dead on accurate with them. Maybe my eyes just work weird.

(Susquehanna County)

Then perhaps the difference or the problem is in the relative widths of the front sight and rear sight notch. Instead of the height of the sights. If the front blade is too narrow relative to the rear sight notch it could lead to a misalignment that causes your shots to wander left or right of poa. That is why sights on Bullseye guns have wider notches and front sight blades, because the front sight nearly fills the notch it makes the very thin bands of light on the sides stand out and easier to get them equal when aiming. This is something much easier to show than to describe in writing. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Westmoreland County)

I don't have any problem with mine...you might try painting the edge of the blade/front sight orange and outline the notch in the rear sight white for some contrast between the two sights

(Delaware County)

Then perhaps the difference or the problem is in the relative widths of the front sight and rear sight notch. Instead of the height of the sights. If the front blade is too narrow relative to the rear sight notch it could lead to a misalignment that causes your shots to wander left or right of poa. That is why sights on Bullseye guns have wider notches and front sight blades, because the front sight nearly fills the notch it makes the very thin bands of light on the sides stand out and easier to get them equal when aiming. This is something much easier to show than to describe in writing. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Yep. There is a bunch of light on either side of the stock sights. But as long as you get them even it is a pretty consistent shooter I think. I like mine.

You know I think that is it. The front sight just does not "fill" the notch in the rear.

Just doesn't work for me.