Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Question on either OC or CC on bike path that goes through school porperty

If any one is familiar with Easton Area School District, There is a bike path that now (it's been there for a few years now) continues through the far eastern point of the school campus. I have not ridden on it yet but wonder what would be the law for it. The bike path before and after the school is owned by Palmer township and Wilson Boro. But when it continues onto the school grounds, what happens?

You can go around it but on a bike, the way around would be very unsafe.

I can give better info if anyone needs more.

(York County)

Default Re: Question on either OC or CC on bike path that goes through school porperty

I think the title of your thread is the answer. If it's on school property then no guns. Happy biking.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Question on either OC or CC on bike path that goes through school porperty

I kinda think so as well, but then again if the property isn't the schools then it would be legal. I would like to know who owns that land but not sure how to find it out.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by utekking View Post
    I kinda think so as well, but then again if the property isn't the schools then it would be legal. I would like to know who owns that land but not sure how to find it out.
    You can find out here by matching the tax map/data with an aerial map showing the location of the path from normal online mapping websites.

http://www.ncpub.org/

Or you can call Easton tax office and tell them you want to come down and see the tax map and records that include this property. I say to call them first because some have restricted hours, it might be the wrong place (could be a borough or township), there may be a form you can fill out in advance or even request a simple radius search from an address.

Quote Originally Posted by utekking View Post
    County plat map, assessors office, write a letter to the School District general counsel.

Also, the law is not clear about people with LTCF on whether or not firearm possession on school property is illegal. The end part with the Provision of "Other lawful Purpose" is vague. Obviously, carry for Self Defensive is a lawful purpose but not tested in the courts.

Not a lawyer.

CL

If you look it up on Google Maps, the map view actually shows property lines. They are faint and you may have to squint, but they are there.

Satellite view doesn't show property lines, so you may have to toggle back and forth to see what you need to see. It won't tell you who owns a property, though, but you should be able to see if the corner where the bike path runs is included in the parcel where the school is located.

(Northampton County)

Just to be clear, the link I posted has tax maps online with interactive ownership, assessment, and tax records.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post

The end part with the Provision of "Other lawful Purpose" is vague. Obviously, carry for Self Defensive is a lawful purpose but not tested in the courts.

Not a lawyer.

CL
    GunLawyer posted in the thread on "gun in car when dropping off the kids at school", that this had been tested in court. It is not precedent in the Commonwealth because it was decided in a lower court. Post #9.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...ds-school.html

Here is the original post, #98 by Gunlawyer. Glad he's on our side.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...a-page-10.html

(Northampton County)

Thanks for the info, I will try to dig around with what you guys posted.

I did see that case and I would think it would be the same result but I am not willing to be a test case.

(York County)

I think I have a solution for the OP. Unload the gun just before school property. If asked, you are biking to your range for target practice. Once off school property, lock and load. INAL but I believe that will cover you. Thoughts?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast