Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default 1911 or custom knife

Hey Guys,

So I completely blew my gun budget this year already with some very high end custom 1911s. Recently I have started to collect high end custom knives like Shirogorov's, RJ Martins and Direwares. I didn't realize that these knives could cost more than my Wilson Combats, Ed Browns and Nighthawks. So here is the question. I wanted to add a Guncrafter Frag model to my collection which is around $3800 and 1 year wait. I also have been talking to Stan Wilson for a custom knife that is around $3500. I can only get one for the remainder of the year. Am I crazy for not ordering a Guncrafter and ordering the knife instead? I need to make up my mind soon and was hoping for some opinions. I'm new to the knife game but its quickly overtaking my gun collection.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: 1911 or custom knife

Mike,,,,, I'm sure you know of George at http://www.migunslingers.com/ He has a layaway plan that can make it really dangerous,,,,,, but very convenient. I have a No Name with a threaded barrel from him. I hate to go to his inventory tab,,,, as he ALWAYS has something there that I NEED.

The NN shoots extremely well. It does have a couple of minor issues that have nothing to do with it's performance. Once I get my Pro back from Springfield I'll talk to Alex and send it back.

Knife,,,,,,, ppppffffftttttt. 1911 from GI,,,, OH yeah.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Chester County)

Knife making is at a high right now, there are A LOT of people stock removing blanks into some pretty neat looking knives...

More importantly, there are a good amount of actual Bladesmiths out there...Hand forging and shaping some amazing stuff at a fraction of your budget. Personally (perhaps biasedly), Bladesmithing is truly the start to finish one of a kind, handcrafted blade! That's where you should be looking.

My opinion, with that budget, you can get a lot more knives for you buck. Saying you are new to the knife game, I'd say get you hands on some different (less famous) makers, see what's out there. Or talk to some actual bladesmiths, maybe get an idea in your head forged into a unique knife. I can help you out if you are interested in that. ShitsCreek

Or get the gun and grab a few affordable knives here and there while you wait. I've been obsessed with Olamic blades as of late!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    Mike,,,,, I'm sure you know of George at http://www.migunslingers.com/ He has a layaway plan that can make it really dangerous,,,,,, but very convenient. I have a No Name with a threaded barrel from him. I hate to go to his inventory tab,,,, as he ALWAYS has something there that I NEED.

The NN shoots extremely well. It does have a couple of minor issues that have nothing to do with it's performance. Once I get my Pro back from Springfield I'll talk to Alex and send it back.

Knife,,,,,,, ppppffffftttttt. 1911 from GI,,,, OH yeah.
    Thanks for the GI feedback thundrr1, I have been looking at the frag to finish my high end 1911 collection. This literally is my last hobby purchase this year and I'm really torn which one to go with. I guess I can buy both but I'm sure my wife would stab me in the throat with the knife and shoot me in the balls with the gun. Now I'm leaning towards the GI....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by f_bomb View Post
    Knife making is at a high right now, there are A LOT of people stock removing blanks into some pretty neat looking knives...

More importantly, there are a good amount of actual Bladesmiths out there...Hand forging and shaping some amazing stuff at a fraction of your budget. Personally (perhaps biasedly), Bladesmithing is truly the start to finish one of a kind, handcrafted blade! That's where you should be looking.

My opinion, with that budget, you can get a lot more knives for you buck. Saying you are new to the knife game, I'd say get you hands on some different (less famous) makers, see what's out there. Or talk to some actual bladesmiths, maybe get an idea in your head forged into a unique knife. I can help you out if you are interested in that. ShitsCreek

Or get the gun and grab a few affordable knives here and there while you wait. I've been obsessed with Olamic blades as of late!

Thanks for the advise bro. I already bought some mid techs, I have a shirogorov mid 95, brous t4, direware v4 and an rj Martin modulator on order. The stan wilson flipper non flipper is amazing and I wouldn't pass a GI up for anything less than that knife. But then again that GI Frag is awesome, especially since they are going to put a magwell with the frag on it for me.

(Delaware County)

My no Name...... dressed to defend.

Yes, it has a rail also. I did have a conversation (on 1911 Addicts) with 50 GI-Jess about the pistol. He was the gunsmith who actually made my pistol.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    My no Name...... dressed to defend.

Yes, it has a rail also. I did have a conversation (on 1911 Addicts) with 50 GI-Jess about the pistol. He was the gunsmith who actually made my pistol.
    Is that I silencero osprey? That looks awesome man

I'd probably go with the knife. It won't jam for stupid reasons and probably requires less maintenance.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Northampton County)

If you don't have a full auto MAC I think you should buy that instead for $3-3.5K

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike12_nguyen View Post

I also have been talking to Stan Wilson for a custom knife that is around $3500.

I thought I was nuts for spending $350 on a small sebenza.

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    I'd probably go with the knife. It won't jam for stupid reasons and probably requires less maintenance.

BTW, my sebenza hasn't jammed (yet), and opens every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast