Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Need a mentor for hunting

I have been into firearms for 28 years now but it has been mostly target shooting. Rifle and pistol. I would consider myself above average shot. I am familiar with Bolts,semi auto and lever for rifle. Revolver and semi auto for hand gun.
    I need someone to take me under their wing and show me how to hunt deer. Gut and clean it. Then recommend a butcher or show me how to butcher it. I have a win 70 30/06 bolt gun and a win 94 lever 30/30 for the hunt. I have a hunters safety certificate that I completed in approx 1994. I use it for the training requirement for a florida ccw.

If anyone wants to help me I would appreciate it. I don't know the bag limits but if I can get 2 deer I will give you one of mine as a thank you. I am doing this to off set the cost of food. Before I do this I would like to let my family taste deer meat to see if they will eat it. I am not into wasting this.

I am 48 male no drugs and no drinking. I live in se pa.

Thanks Lou

Default Re: Need a mentor for hunting

Good luck!

If you lived closer I would take you. I'm always willing to introduce the sport to someone new.

Hope someone steps up.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Delaware County)

I along with several friends are teaching ourselves how to hunt. I have nothing to offer there. I do know there are many ways you can reduce your food bills and eat more natural foods. Depending on where you live raising chickens may help you more than deer hunting. Bountiful gardens can be grown in very small areas. The internet is full of these type ideas.

Not to overstep my bounds but I would suggest sending streaker69 a p.m. He may be able to help with some very good ideas and point you in the right direction.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Welcome to the world of hunting. Living in SE PA, I would recommend putting away the rifle and pick up a bow. You'll have many more opportunities to bag deer in that part of the state.

There is a show about deer hunting in communities that's based out of Connecticut. They get permission to hunt on small properties of 2 to 5 acres, small wood lots etc...don't recall the name but very informative.

I also would like you to factor in gas, vehicle maintenance, costs of ammo, clothing, food, time, and license fees, butchering fees, and any mounts if you mount a buck...but if you are only a meat hunter, that last one shouldn't apply. Add up all your fees for an entire hunting season.

Then, get on craigslist and search for whole or half a side of beef for sale, CSA, or local farmer selling naturally raised beef, chicken, turkey, etc...find out the costs.

I will tell you right now, it's cheaper to buy a whole processed steer than it is to go deer hunting for a season. If you are strictly looking to cut your food costs in half, buy meat in large bulk directly from a farmer.

Enjoy and best of luck to you,

CL

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/grd/4513591630.html This add equals out to $3.50 a lb for 185lbs of processed ready to eat beef.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/4507202362.html

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd/4491373072.html

(Luzerne County)

If you lived closer I would be more than happy to take you along. Good Luck with your search and we are here to bounce questions off of.

Another option may be to join a club or lease. That would likely require some travel, and of course money, but based on where you live the local public land will be tough to score a deer.
    It's also not difficult to teach yourself. There are lots of resources available these days.
    FUCK BIDEN

In the world of changing PGC laws/regulations I recommend you consider taking the Hunter Safety Course again. 1994 was 20 years ago. If you have not actively hunted in the last 20 yrs you won't realize how much has changed.

I took my safety class 30 yrs ago and have hunted every year since with the exception of a few times I was deployed. For the past few years I have been trying to attend the course again as a refreasher. So much has changed.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Good luck!

If you lived closer I would take you. I'm always willing to introduce the sport to someone new.

Hope someone steps up.
    My sentiment too Lou. Sorry, I am too far away.

(Bucks County)

I might be able to help. Pm inbound.

(Chester County)

Thank you for your replys and pm's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast