Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Reloading Tips and Tricks

Have 2 loading blocks and transfer cartridges between steps.

This is especially useful when charging with powder. I've just learned it's much more difficult to charge with one loading block. I had a feeling I forgot to charge one when I was finished with 50 rounds. I wound up pulling all bullets and found I did not charge 2.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: I don't use loading blocks at all.

Plastic food bins work much better.

When I loaded handgun ammo on a single stage press, I put the cleaned and primed brass in a plastic bin. I frequently cleaned, sized, and primed 300 or 400 brass at one time. Then I left it on the shelf in that state waiting for me to decide what I wanted to take to the range with me the next time.

When I picked it up to put powder in it, I tapped it on the bench open end down so I "knew" there was no powder in it because it would have dumped out. After putting powder in the brass I started the bullet with my fingers, then set it in the press and seated the bullet. The brass was not set down until it was a complete cartridge. Having a loading block with some charged brass, some uncharged, is just asking for trouble IMO.

Then I picked up another brass and started the process over again. By charging and seating the bullet before setting the brass down it almost guarantees that one won't double charge a handgun cartridge - which is the biggest risk in loading handgun ammo. I routinely loaded .38+P loads in .357 brass (so the gun was easier to clean - no carbon ring). In many cases I could get 3 or 4 charges in the brass - I know because I tried it, and then dumped it out of course.

My other rule was that if someone interrupted me during the process of charging the brass, I dumped the powder back out, set it down primer up, and didn't do anything till the person left the room.

I load rifle ammo on a single stage press, The cleaned brass goes in the same sort of plastic bin. I take it out, lube, deprime, size, prime, and wipe clean in one step, then toss it in another of the plastic containers.

To complete the cartridge, I set up the press to seat bullets and the measure for the desired charge. I pick a brass from the bin, charge it with powder, set the bullet in it, seat it, then put it in a slip case or plastic ammo box. .22 Hornet ammo, because I have so much of it, goes in plastic food bins just like the handgun ammo.

Fitch

(Berks County)

Default Re: Reloading Tips and Tricks

I use a progressive press with a powder feeder so I dont have to deal with filling each piece of brass, but I have loads of MCM ammo bins that I mark every step, I tend to clean my brass, size, trim and put it in a bin and let them sit till I have a day I feel like loading, I mark the case eather FL sized or neck sized and what rifle it was used in.

(Chester County)

When charging I place 10 cases on one side of the block and 10 more on the other leaving the center of the block empty. As I throw the powder I count the number of times I drop the handle on the powder measure. After each 10 I check the powder measure with the balance beam scale. I repeat for the other 10 cases.

After all is done I take a flashlight and confirm both the level of each charged case. Once checked bullets are seated in all cases.

Repeat as necessary.

(Berks County)

I use 3 reloading blocks. The way I do it is I put the cleaned and prepped bras in the little bins from Lowes or Home Depot then when I prime the brass it goes in the first block then I measure the powder and I fill it. Then transfer it to the 2nd block, then I seat the bullet and it goes in the third block until I use the factory crimp and put it in the box for use.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property