Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotia Range..

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Scotia Range..

PSU had a range in the basement of White Building. I used to shoot there for a riflery class. Don't know if there is public access, but maybe worth a phone call.
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Allegheny County)

Well, just in case there was any doubt...

I might give the game commission a call just for peace of mind. I keep hearing all these reopen dates but I'd love to have some facts. I don't know how much the place was dug up before, but it didn't look too much of a disaster to me. Maybe they're almost done? I've also never been to this range before so I don't know how it was before so I'm pretty useless here I guess haha.

(Centre County)

Crap. guess I'll go to MCSA

(Centre County)

from what i hear nothing was dug out, they are spraying some crap on the mounds
    http://xs128.xs.to/xs128/08235/sgtmathyis215.jpg

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMathyis View Post
    from what i hear nothing was dug out, they are spraying some crap on the mounds
    Apparently they don't reclaim the lead they just spray to neutralize all of the lead based compounds that can get into the water supply. The elemental lead from the actual bullets will not break down and go into the water.
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Centre County)

I was out past Scotia Range over the weekend. I wish I would have taken my camera but here's what I saw. Lots of heavy equipment!

Rifle Range: The ground has been dug up and parts reseeded from just behind the 100 yard posts all the way out. It appears that the pit @ 200 yards has been taken out. The bank behind 200 has been made higher and there appears to be a terrace effect up to the woods at the back of the range.

It looks ready like they started reseeding the bank.

Myguess it this will be the first range to open.

Combat range: Couldn't see it. Most of the heavy equipment was parked there.

Pistol Range: The bank has been dup up and increased in height. Still rough grading, no seeding. The area between the 50 yd bank and the woods behind was also dug-up.

Plinking Range: Outside the fence. Both the 50 yard pistol and the 100 yard rifle ranges have been dug up as well as the area behind both up to the woods. It appears that both have had the bank increased in height and without getting out of the car, it looked like they had some crushed limestone on the bank. Some reeseeding had been done.

Clay bird range appeared to be untouched. There was somekind of function going on.

Craziest thing I saw was on one of the mowed path's that go from the road into the woods just outside the fenced in area. Back about 50 yards off the road was a 3d buffalo target! Now that's not something you see in Scotia every day!

I'll try to get out again in the next couple of weeks and will be certain to take the camera along.

But for now, it doesn't look good to be shooting out there anytime soon.

Steve

(Allegheny County)

Good detective work man haha. I'm glad someone who has been there checked it out. I saw it but didn't know the difference since I've never shot there. I actually called up the local game commission office and asked about it. The guy told me that the original estimate they were given was 10 weeks. Apparently this week will be week 8, so that gives you an idea of where they're at(at least as far as estimates go anyways).

I got some shooting done at the state game lands this Sunday in Wexford so I feel a little better, but I need a local range, dammit!

(Mifflin County)

Why don't ya all break down and drive over to Mifflin County side of the mountains. We got Mifflin County sportsman's club cost $35 for a year. All the ranges you can want. DEcatur Sportsman's club is up 522 North cost $5 for the year! Might be up to $10 this year. Blue Rock Sportsman's Club out in New Lancaster Valley. Not sure how much there but they have nice ranges and nice evens regularly. What bout the Port Matilda club? What good is having guns if you aint going to shot them just cause the free range is closed?

mark61
    living out where shooting ranges is the back yard!

(Centre County)

Easier said than done my friend! If I'm going to go shoot over the mtn I will have to drive at least 45 mins so I will have to plan on spending at least 1/2 a day over there. Not at all a bad idea, I love to shoot, but when you work night shift sometimes that is very not possible. Plus if I'm going to spend time driving to a range I'll just drive the extra distance and go on down to PMSC where I am already a member. I will definatly give some of the ranges you listed a shot this summer but I, for some reason, like the convinence of just hoping down to scotia for an hour or 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    Easier said than done my friend! If I'm going to go shoot over the mtn I will have to drive at least 45 mins so I will have to plan on spending at least 1/2 a day over there. Not at all a bad idea, I love to shoot, but when you work night shift sometimes that is very not possible. Plus if I'm going to spend time driving to a range I'll just drive the extra distance and go on down to PMSC where I am already a member. I will definatly give some of the ranges you listed a shot this summer but I, for some reason, like the convinence of just hoping down to scotia for an hour or 2.
    I'll second this on the convenience factor of Scotia. What we really need is a nice private range here in the State College vicinity. I'd gladly pay a membership fee in a heartbeat for a nice private range that I could go to (with the same convenience of Scotia) without having to wonder whether or not there will be target holders intact that day.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast