Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HK VP9 Review

Default HK VP9 Review

Got to spend some trigger time with the new VP9 and here's what I've found:

Pros:
    -100% reliable with anything from Russian stuff to quality JHPs
    -Excellent trigger. Broke right at 5 but the crispness made it feel like less. Very smooth pull all the way through
    -"Hostile Environment" nitrided finish is very durable and looks great
    -Ergonomics are excellent. The replaceable backstraps and grip panels make the gun great for almost all hand sizes out there
    -Quality luminescent 3 dot steel sights. N/S will be available from the factory at a later date
    -Price. The MSRP on the gun is $719 so after the initial rush it'll likely be available in the mid $600s some places. For an H&K, can't complain about that.
    -Full length, 1913 rail for mounting accessories
    -Ambi mag release and slide release levers
    -Uses 15 or 10 round P30 mags
    -I like the "charging supports" but I know some out there will take them off

Cons:
    -The bore axis is high, no getting around it
    -15 round capacity factory mags. Many of my viewers expressed that they'd like to see a higher capacity factory offering
    -This particular gun seems to shoot high (3 experienced shooters all had the same result)

All in all, I think this will be an extremely popular gun for H&K. Great build quality, reliability, ergos, and finish combined with H&K's reputation will be hard to resist for a lot of prospective gun buyers out there.

Here's my full review video that covers a lot of the issues above as well as some more details about the pistol:

(Mercer County)

Default Re: HK VP9 Review

Great review, as always.

I think this will be a home run for You Suck.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Berks County)

Awesome review. I didn't realise you were a local when I subscribed to your YT channel.
    When in doubt, knifehand!

(Chester County)

Is it easy to operate the mag release?

Disregard that vid link message. It finally came up on this dinosaur of a computer.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

I like your video (I've told you on youtube and hkpro, but I'll say it here too).

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    Is it easy to operate the mag release?
    Like I said in the video I actually prefer it. If you've never used it just hitting it 10x a day for a week will build that muscle memory and you'll never have to worry about it again.

I like your video
    Thanks.

I see this as the striker fired P30. That being said the P30 is an awesome pistol so I can assume this one will be stellar as well. Here's my issue with HK: WOW they're pricey guns! What do they do that glock or m&p doesn't? What's the extra price tag all about? I've had HK's and Sig and don't really notice any difference in performance for the extra $300-500 you have to spend.
    Not so much with Sig but HK parts, what's the availability? I'm just curious with all this cause I don't see what the cost is all about. What so the machining inside the slide is ever so slightly better. I've not had a glock or m&p jam due to not being machined to HK standards so what gives?
    I guess it's cool they came out with one but how well is Sig doing with their striker fired guns I would like to believe most Sig guys prefer the hammer and I would think the same for HK guys.

(Delaware County)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I see this as the striker fired P30. That being said the P30 is an awesome pistol so I can assume this one will be stellar as well. Here's my issue with HK: WOW they're pricey guns! What do they do that glock or m&p doesn't? What's the extra price tag all about? I've had HK's and Sig and don't really notice any difference in performance for the extra $300-500 you have to spend.
    Not so much with Sig but HK parts, what's the availability? I'm just curious with all this cause I don't see what the cost is all about. What so the machining inside the slide is ever so slightly better. I've not had a glock or m&p jam due to not being machined to HK standards so what gives?
    I guess it's cool they came out with one but how well is Sig doing with their striker fired guns I would like to believe most Sig guys prefer the hammer and I would think the same for HK guys.

Which new Glock is $300 less than the VP9?

To me its like comparing a Corvette and a BMW M5. You could argue that one is faster, one is a better value etc, but it partly comes down to buyer preference. The HK doesn't HAVE to do anything better than a Glock to command more money.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast