Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Action types

Default Action types

Considering a pocket pistol and am a bit confused by the different action types. What I'm most familiar with is DA/SA with a hammer drop in safe mode, IE barretta 92. I also understand the operation of 1911s, SA only, And DAO revolvers are simple enough. Where my confusion lies is when I see DAO vs DAO slide hold open and DAO slide Catch. Can anyone explain the differences between these?

Thanks

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Action types

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    Considering a pocket pistol and am a bit confused by the different action types. What I'm most familiar with is DA/SA with a hammer drop in safe mode, IE barretta 92. I also understand the operation of 1911s, SA only, And DAO revolvers are simple enough. Where my confusion lies is when I see DAO vs DAO slide hold open and DAO slide Catch. Can anyone explain the differences between these?

Thanks
    A double action only semiauto will behave like a dao revolver in that the trigger will both cock and release the hammer/striker with each pull. You will not be able cock the hammer with your thumb. Most DAO semis function identically to other action types as far as the slide locking back is concerned. There are some semiautomatic pistols that don't have an external slide release, such as the Beretta Nano, but you don't run into that very often.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    A double action only semiauto will behave like a dao revolver in that the trigger will both cock and release the hammer/striker with each pull. You will not be able cock the hammer with your thumb. Most DAO semis function identically to other action types as far as the slide locking back is concerned. There are some semiautomatic pistols that don't have an external slide release, such as the Beretta Nano, but you don't run into that very often.
    OK got that but what is the difference to "Slide Hold Open" and "Slide catch"? I have a Walther PPK/S that the way you get the slide to latch open is to put in an empty mag, no manual catch available. Is that Slide hold open?

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    OK got that but what is the difference to "Slide Hold Open" and "Slide catch"? I have a Walther PPK/S that the way you get the slide to latch open is to put in an empty mag, no manual catch available. Is that Slide hold open?
    Technically, I would say it is. The slide will lock to the rear on the last shot. There just isn't an external slide release/lock lever, kind of like what we talked about with the Beretta Nano. Personally, I want a slide release/lever on the side of a pistol. I want to be able to manually lock the slide to the rear or release the slide with my thumb, though rarely will I ever release the slide with the slide lock when doing a mag change. But that's a whole 'nother discussion.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Yea I never release the slide with the lever either, just pull the slide back and the release lever drops itself, I do miss the lever on the PPK/S when I want to lock the slide open without a mag installed, example when cleaning. I suppose since I'm looking for a pocket pistol the lack of a lever might be an advantage, one less thing to catch on clothing when drawn.
    Last edited by indianjack; June 19th, 2014 at 08:17 AM.

(Bucks County)

On some pistols, like the Ruger LCP, the slide does not lock back at all.

(Bucks County)

I know on my LC9 the slide release is there but damn near useless, as it's so small you can't get enough purchase to overcome the tension of the slide. After swapping out mags, I find it's just as natural to bring you free hand up over the gun and rack the slide.
    5.56mm, 9mm, .40SW, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .22LR, 12GA, .45-70, 7.62x54R