Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Consolidating ads

Quote Originally Posted by theunrulychef View Post
    Devil's advocate argument here.

Do you really want to make more laws / rules about what other people can or can't do just for your own convenience? You can just click through to the next page or hide posts from serial classified users (actually, not sure if this forum has the 'hide' function or not).

On edit: yes, you can go to your settings & add a user to your "Ignore List".
    Maybe you could also pay to post each add a nd to bump them.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

Truthfully it would not hurt my feelings if the classifieds disappeared. It offers no content to the forum.

(Delaware County)

I have used the classifieds from both directions. I like them and just accept the crap that can be found interspersed in them. I have learned to skip some of the adds based on the poster. Could be a shit ton better but could also be more expensive.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Not everyone is endowed with a functional common sense gland.

Those who bump the same overpriced merch 30+ times are most likely playing the lottery several different ways every day, because as we all know, "the next ticket is the winner!"

Noah
    You'd would think it might occur to them to lower their price wouldn't you?

Just go put it on Gumpoker. They might actually get what they're asking for it.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Truthfully it would not hurt my feelings if the classifieds disappeared. It offers no content to the forum.
    Neither do the regional sections which get no traffic or the millions of threads about open Vs concealed carry or the millions of I'm buying my first gun please coddle me with your advice threads.

Plenty of areas lend no content.

And actually, the classifieds can allow members to meet in person, allow members to develop actual face to face interaction, create business and personal friendships, something posting anonymously from a keyboard about the same old topics can never do.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Looking at the classifieds this morning, I noticed one seller with 6 ads on the front page, 5 of them being some sort of AK variant and another seller with 3 ads.
    So almost half of the front page ads are by two users.

The next page has sellers running two ads, both sellers could have easily made one listing, one even is selling two of the same brand hunting rifle.

Other forums allow only two classifieds to run from a user at a time, this forces consolidation.
    Bumps are allowed less frequently than three days.

IMO, if a guy wants to list his entire AK collection, he should list it as such or use gunbroker if he wants to run an ad for every single one.

It's just such a mess to browse IMO.
    Neither do the regional sections which get no traffic or the millions of threads about open Vs concealed carry or the millions of I'm buying my first gun please coddle me with your advice threads.

Plenty of areas lend no content.

And actually, the classifieds can allow members to meet in person, allow members to develop actual face to face interaction, create business and personal friendships, something posting anonymously from a keyboard about the same old topics can never do.
    Might I remind you that you started this thread? Over the years I have made many face to face contacts. Lunches dinners. Concul meetings many consul meetings.
    Hell I and about 50 or 60 others are invited to a picnic first arranged here.

Again you started the thread and now it has gone in a direction you don't like. Sour grapes comes to mind or be careful what you wish for.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Might I remind you that you started this thread? Over the years I have made many face to face contacts. Lunches dinners. Concul meetings many consul meetings.
    Hell I and about 50 or 60 others are invited to a picnic first arranged here.

Again you started the thread and now it has gone in a direction you don't like. Sour grapes comes to mind or be careful what you wish for.
    Well, I really don't know what you're talking about, but OK.

The positive rep I received from the thread shows that I'm not alone in thinking many sellers are inconsiderate.

You stated the classifieds themselves offer no content to the forum, yes they do, even if they are filled with inconsiderate asses.

This is what I was replying to, your opinion that the classifieds are worthless to the forum.

(Luzerne County)

Well, I really don't know what you're talking about, but OK.

The positive rep I received from the thread shows that I'm not alone in thinking many sellers are inconsiderate.

You stated the classifieds themselves offer no content to the forum, yes they do, even if they are filled with inconsiderate asses.

This is what I was replying to, your opinion that the classifieds are worthless to the forum.
    Hey look at that I also received rep from this thread.

I was going to start a thread on a related note, but after reading through this one, it'll serve better purpose to just post my opinion in here. Reading through this thread, it seems there will be people that agree with my thoughts, and those that disagree, so either way here goes:

I think there should be a limit on the number of active marketplace ads someone can have up. Make it a reasonable number (10 at a time? 20 at a time?), and it would also force folks to close their old ads out before being able to post new ads.

Reason being, I come back from a weekend away, log in here to see what's been going on, and the same person has 22 market place ads going, all in the first 10 pages or so of new posts.

To make it worse, they're ads that have been up for quite a while just being bumped.

Even more, this person's post history shows only market place ads for the past 2 years plus, and one feedback thread post. So they aren't contributing here, just using the place to hawk their junk.

Just gets old to reread these ads every time I check new threads, that's all.

ETA: While this is an extreme example, there are also a handful of other posters that seem to only post market place ads continuously as well and bump them for months on end.
    Last edited by Mabuz; August 11th, 2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: See ETA Note.

(Bucks County)

Might this be the same person who's bumped the same classified ad for Tupperware lids 97 times?

I too am tired of seeing the same five or six posts bumped every time I check them.

This may or may not be the same person who tried to fuck me over on a Gunbroker auction for .223 ammo.

Caveat emptor!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast