Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Conceal carry at work place

Ive read through some threads on conceal carrying at a work place and I just want to clarify what I read was not misunderstood.

I work as a computer technician at a private owned business. The owner own 3 small business and I am shifted between those 3 stores from time to time. My question is if I have a permit to conceal carry on his property with or without his permission. He does not have any signs posted but I would be able to ask him if I could conceal carry. I just want to know if I'm legally able to conceal carry while on the clock at work.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Conceal carry at work place

It's private property and you would need to have permission. For example, my employer states I cannot have a firearm at work, in a work vehicle or even in my own vehicle on work property. Any violation is grounds for termination. Of course my main office is located on school grounds so I couldn't carry even if my employer allowed it.

(Philadelphia County)

thanks for the response 90volts. I am sure my employer would not mind. Hes in the army and is really cool. Would this be the same if I want to open carry at the work place and have his permission? I'm assuming yes.

(Delaware County)

His property, his choice.

(Mercer County)

Your LTCF doesn't give you free range to carry wherever you want.

Is there anything about weapons in your contract or employee handbook? Has your boss ever communicated to you or anyone else that no guns are allowed on the property? If no, I'd go with "don't ask, don't tell" personally. That's just me, though. You need to weigh the risk vs the reward. It's a highly personal decision.

If there is a policy, you will be terminated on the spot.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Philadelphia County)

no policy or signs anywhere. Question being is I'm from Philadelphia, the person which is a police officer of some sort who gave me the interview for my permit said I cannot carry at my work place and I would need another permit from the state to carry at work. At the time i didn't ask much about and just said okay. But the more I read and the respond you guys are giving me it seems like its solely up to my employer. If thats the case I would most likely conceal carry.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by tvt5043Gun View Post
    I am sure my employer would not mind. Hes in the army and is really cool..
    ^^^^^^^^
    Hate to burst the bubble but his being in the Army doesn't mean hes ok with guns on you. I have a retired Lieutenant colonel in the in-laws and he's far from my level of thinking about carrying firearms....Concealed is concealed, do yourself a favor and keep it to yourself.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Philadelphia County)

thanks for the heads up. I'd probably keep to myself.

(Lancaster County)

no policy or signs anywhere. Question being is I'm from Philadelphia, the person which is a police officer of some sort who gave me the interview for my permit said I cannot carry at my work place and I would need another permit from the state to carry at work. At the time i didn't ask much about and just said okay. But the more I read and the respond you guys are giving me it seems like its solely up to my employer. If thats the case I would most likely conceal carry.
    #1 worst place to get information about firearms, police.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

he was talking about the pa act 235 which you or anyone would need in order to work armed with a firearm(don't quite understand it).

in cases like these its more of a personal decision then anything else, which is more important to you?

your life or job?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast