Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Conceal carry at work place

Quote Originally Posted by InTheGray View Post
    Question: Does anyone know if you can sue an employer for denying someone the ability to have a firearm in a vehicle in the employers parking lot? I know that they can. What I was thinking was say, if you were carjacked going to or from work and having your could have prevented injury, death, or theft?

Has this or something similar ever happened to anyone, to anyone's knowledge?
    At one point in my life I worked for a company based in Philadelphia and had a company car. I was one of the few people in the company that had to travel to sites across the state in not so desirable locations, so when a company edict came out stating no firearms on company property or in company cars, I was obviously concerned.

I went a few steps up the office food chain and had a frank discussion with one of the VP's, asking him very clearly if the company would take responsibility for my safety while out at work sites since they obviously wouldn't let me protect myself. I went on to describe some of the locations and some of the situations I had run into, then I further explained my background, my LTCF, and some of the PA laws w/r/t firearms.

The short answer is he wrote me a statement on company letterhead affirming that I was indeed allowed to continue to carry a firearm in the company vehicle.

FYI, my brother who lived down south, works as an environmental scientist, and spends most of his time outdoors on large sites. His company implemented the same policy, but when multiple team members came back with stories of being shot at, rammed by vehicles, attacked by dogs, alligators, and wild turkeys, they too soon changed their minds!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    There are no laws that would prohibit you from doing so. However, if the place is a posted gun free zone (signage or verbal) you can be cited for defiant trespass.

The company I work for is very anti-gun and doesn't want weapons on the property. They see them as 'offensive'. I don't have much of a choice here- the consequences of being caught are enormous and reach far beyond termination on the spot.
    Really? so what exactly is "far beyond termination on the spot" Lynching?

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    I've head of this but just don't get it at all!!.... "or even in my own vehicle on work property"....OK NOT counting on school property...How can they enforce this??.. They make you Unarmed for the drive to and from work...
    NRA won a case in OK a while back on this issue, guess its different in every state.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    The short answer is he wrote me a statement on company letterhead affirming that I was indeed allowed to continue to carry a firearm in the company vehicle.
    So you got an exception for yourself, good for you, but everyone else got thrown under the bus.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    I've heard of this but just don't get it at all!!.... "or even in my own vehicle on work property"....OK NOT counting on school property...How can they enforce this??.. They make you Unarmed for the drive to and from work...
    Here is what happens. You leave your firearm in the car. Somehow it gets out that you do this. Management asks to search your car. Note I said ask, they cannot forcefully search your car. You either let them search it, they find the firearm and fire you or you refuse and they probably fire you anyway.

Private property rights trump your right to carry.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    NRA won a case in OK a while back on this issue, guess its different in every state.
    Charged with Criminal Trespass?

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    It was a lumber company I think. Guy was fired for leaving a gun, might have been a hunting rifle, in his trunk. He sued and won I think, since then I beleive OK has changed the law to make it illegal to prohibit guns in parking lots. That's what I remember, I'll try and get more info.

(Montgomery County)

Blacklisting.

Let word spread to other potential employers in your field that you were fired for a firearms violation. You will have a very very hard time finding someone to hire you.

(Bucks County)

It was a lumber company I think. Guy was fired for leaving a gun, might have been a hunting rifle, in his trunk. He sued and won I think, since then I beleive OK has changed the law to make it illegal to prohibit guns in parking lots. That's what I remember, I'll try and get more info.
    DUH!!! Meant to quote your post above that one damn it!

Let me try again.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast