Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Conceal carry at work place

There are no laws that would prohibit you from doing so. However, if the place is a posted gun free zone (signage or verbal) you can be cited for defiant trespass.

The company I work for is very anti-gun and doesn't want weapons on the property. They see them as 'offensive'. I don't have much of a choice here- the consequences of being caught are enormous and reach far beyond termination on the spot.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 350CI View Post
    he was talking about the pa act 235 which you or anyone would need in order to work armed with a firearm(don't quite understand it).

in cases like these its more of a personal decision then anything else, which is more important to you?

your life or job?
    Agree the reference was with regard to Act 235 certification which applies to:

22 P.S. § 44(b) All privately employed agents, except those who have been granted a waiver from compliance herewith by the commissioner who, as an incidence to their employment, carry a lethal weapon shall be required to attend the program established by subsection (a) of this section in accordance with the requirements or regulations established by the commissioner and upon satisfactory completion of such program, shall be entitled to certification by the commissioner.
    where:

22 P.S. § 43“Privately employed agents” include any person employed for the purpose of providing watch guard, protective patrol, detective or criminal investigative services either for another for a fee or for his employer. Privately employed agents do not include local, state or federal government employees or those police officers commissioned by the Governor under the act of February 27, 1865 (P.L. 225, No. 228).1 The term shall include a police officer of a municipal authority.

Doesn't sound like this applies to the OP so the issue boils down to whether firearm possession is proscribed by the rules of employment or by the property possessor.
    IANAL

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    The company I work for is very anti-gun and doesn't want weapons on the property. They see them as 'offensive'. I don't have much of a choice here- the consequences of being caught are enormous and reach far beyond termination on the spot.
    What's more, a coworker could dime you out anonymously if they knew you were CC and had an ax to grind against you. Then you are standing tall in HR while they ask for your company ID and show you the door.

(Allegheny County)

I've heard of this but just don't get it at all!!.... "or even in my own vehicle on work property"....OK NOT counting on school property...How can they enforce this??.. They make you Unarmed for the drive to and from work...
    Last edited by JDA58; June 18th, 2014 at 11:19 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    I've head of this but just don't get it at all!!.... "or even in my own vehicle on work property"....OK NOT counting on school property...How can they enforce this??.. They make you Unarmed for the drive to and from work...
    You have the option of parking other than on 'work property'.
    IANAL

(York County)

I work in Maryland and Washington DC. My toys are in the safe while I'm at work.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Washington County)

Question: Does anyone know if you can sue an employer for denying someone the ability to have a firearm in a vehicle in the employers parking lot? I know that they can. What I was thinking was say, if you were carjacked going to or from work and having your could have prevented injury, death, or theft?

Has this or something similar ever happened to anyone, to anyone's knowledge?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by tvt5043Gun View Post
    no policy or signs anywhere. Question being is I'm from Philadelphia, the person which is a police officer of some sort who gave me the interview for my permit said I cannot carry at my work place and I would need another permit from the state to carry at work. At the time i didn't ask much about and just said okay. But the more I read and the respond you guys are giving me it seems like its solely up to my employer. If thats the case I would most likely conceal carry.
    <HEAVY SIGH>
    To reiterate/regurgitate some previous comments:
    • The popo, especially in Phila, are the *last* people you want to ask about gun laws. The GPU issues permits because they are required to, not because they want to.
    • You most certainly *can* carry at your work place, without breaking any *firearm* laws (exceptions for schools and federal buildings). You may (likely will) run afoul of employer *policy* regarding firearms, particularly if that policy is spelled out in the employee handbook. If policy says you will be terminated for a firearm on the property, you should not be surprised if it happens.
    • If your employer has no written policy, and has never stated any such policy, but then takes action against you for having it, you should have *some* recourse to regain your job, but there would probably be a written policy in place by the time you got back.
    • If there is no policy, and you ask about it, and are *told* you can't carry, then you open yourself up to trespass charges as well as termination.
    • If there is no policy, and you don't ask, and nobody ever says one way or the other, then *I* would say concealed is concealed.
    My 2¢
    YMMV
    IANAL
    etc...

(Montgomery County)

PA is an 'employment at will" state (I think that is the term), meaning that the employer can fire you for anything (aside form clearly illegal discrimination reasons). So just because the HR manual does not address firearms, do not assume they are OK. It may mean that no one has thought about it enough to write anything in the manual.

If you were to get fired for carrying (or any other HR violation), just imagine how hard it will be to fins a new job. Interviewers always ask things like "why did you leave your last job". Imagine when they call your old boss for a reference.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    PA is an 'employment at will" state (I think that is the term), meaning that the employer can fire you for anything (aside form clearly illegal discrimination reasons). So just because the HR manual does not address firearms, do not assume they are OK. It may mean that no one has thought about it enough to write anything in the manual.

If you were to get fired for carrying (or any other HR violation), just imagine how hard it will be to fins a new job. Interviewers always ask things like "why did you leave your last job". Imagine when they call your old boss for a reference.
    Also all true.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast