Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default The "new", cheaper All American made DSA FAL

I don't follow the ins and outs of DS Arms too frequently, so forgive me if this is old news, but I have noticed recently some of the usual online sellers flogging DS Arms FAL's for around $1000, all parts said to be new American made parts.

An example:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0

Personally I love the look of the FAL but prices on a "good one" always seem to ride up into the $1500-$2000+ range and last time I looked at DSA FAL's they were all priced above $1500. Liking FAL's but considering they are not the most accurate things around, the price versus the value just hasn't been there yet for me to pull the trigger.

However if DS is making completely new, metric compatible rifles for $1000, that might get me off the fence.

Any thoughts on these rifles?

Default Re: The "new", cheaper All American made DSA FAL

From the link you provided it looks legit. If what they say they are doing is what they're doing this is a pretty nice deal. An actual DSA for $1000, I might be inclined to call the company and ask some questions.

(Elk County)

I'd sure plunk down $1000 on one of those DSA FALs before I'd spend what some individuals and guns shops are asking for Century Frankenfals.

$1000 for a new DSA vs $700 to $900 for a Frankenfal? No brainer, even for $300 more for the DSA.

JMO,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    From the link you provided it looks legit. If what they say they are doing is what they're doing this is a pretty nice deal. An actual DSA for $1000, I might be inclined to call the company and ask some questions.
    AIM has em too for $100 more and I am sure there are others.

I've looked at Century and Entreprise ones before and just haven't been convinced that even with a much cheaper price they would be worth it.

(Bucks County)

dsa has always made a affordable FAL, it was called the STG58, i bought one as a Christmas present to myself back in 2006 for 999.00. the dsa FALs are the cream of the crop in my opinion but i also had a century FAL that i bought in the late 90's that ran 100% right out of the box. the FALs century has produced recently were hit or miss but from what i've read it didn't take much to get them running plus century will fix the rifle or replace it. with that said i'd pay a few hundred extra for the DSA

(Allegheny County)

Visit the FAL forums where opinions of DSA vary widely over recent years of production. Same with Century FrankenFALs - some were built on Brazilian Imbel (SAR48) FAL recevrs, some were not and need a serious fluff n buff.

If you're going to drop a $K on a an expensive to shoot USA-made copy, may as well save up a few more $ and snag a real pre-89-ban Imbel Springfield SAR48 or a DGFM Armscorp Argie FAL that slipped into the USA in 1988. They can be found out there for under $2K.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

It is a CAST upper receiver instead, of forged, mated to a cast lower.

Typical late generation DSA's had a forged upper and cast lower costing around $17-1900

I am guessing DSA is responding to market pressure/success from PTR.

I find it odd, I have recently noticed a lot of good-quality, parts rifle FAL's for good prices (around $1k) on the FALFiles and for sale elsewhere. I attributed it to rising prices of 308 (all the inexpensive stuff is gone).

I am interested to see how successful they are with sales and production.

I don't like the FAL as much as the PTR (or M1A, for that matter). I just can't get repeatable, sub-4moa accuracy out of it (my standard for a rifle of this type)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    <snip>

I don't like the FAL as much as the PTR (or M1A, for that matter). I just can't get repeatable, sub-4moa accuracy out of it (my standard for a rifle of this type)
    There is/was a show on Outdoor chan on "gun night" - Wed - when the American Rifleman show and several other gun-focused shows would air. Think it is/was "Gun Stories" hosted by Hollyweird's Joe Montegna (pro-2A actor) and it was about an hour dedicated to a specific gun, M700, AK, Win 30-30, Garand, et al.

In each episode, they would show super slo-mo shots of the guns firing. One episode was the FAL; and the barrel flex was clearly visible in the super slo-mo footage. I can absolootly understand the inherent inaccuracy of multiple shots in a FAL. OTOH, the Garand was nearly rock-solid, while the AK was like a licorice stick.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Berks County)

$1000?.....not a bad price, demand surely must be falling off, that and there isn't much cheap 7.62x51 to be had, definitely a niche market. I did notice the lower is made of aluminum instead of steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I'd sure plunk down $1000 on one of those DSA FALs before I'd spend what some individuals and guns shops are asking for Century Frankenfals.

$1000 for a new DSA vs $700 to $900 for a Frankenfal? No brainer, even for $300 more for the DSA.

JMO,

Noah
    Only thing with a Franken Fal/Century/other home build is you really have to do the research and know what you are looking at.

A buddy picked up an STG-58 home build on an Imbel gear logo receiver for around $750 not long back, needed to be refinished, but I would be hard pressed to turn that down even side by side with a "new" DSA at the same price. Then again that is me...

Either way, seems like a great time to get into the FAL market, especially if you reload and can make your own cheap ammo.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast