Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Non-Resident License to Carry Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin455 View Post
    Just called today - individual who answered the phone said I was required to submit the letter as well. I informed him that wasn't part of PA state law - and he said it was part of the sheriff's discretion and if I didn't want to submit the letter I could go to another county. He then hung up.

Suggestions?
    You basically just have to say please. I just wrote a couple sentences on a piece of paper in the sheriff's office asking nicely.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornberg View Post
    You basically just have to say please. I just wrote a couple sentences on a piece of paper in the sheriff's office asking nicely.
    They want their asses kissed to acknowledge their power, and to certify our submission. Meanwhile they work for us, and we pay their salaries.

I went yesterday and used the following letter:

Westmoreland County Sheriff,

As a courtesy, I am writing in response to your stated, but unenforceable requirement for a written statement of justification to acquire a Pennsylvania non-resident license to carry a firearm. I am frequently in Pennsylvania to visit friends & family and my current Pennsylvania non-resident License to Carry a Firearm (LTCF) will expire in a few months.

Per the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act - Title 18 - Chapter 61, as a citizen of the United States and a holder of a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm in my state of residency, I am entitled to issuance of a Pennsylvania non-resident License to Carry a Firearm (LTCF) by any and all Pennsylvania County Sheriffs.

I look forward to your timely issuance and my receipt of a Pennsylvania non-resident License to Carry a Firearm (LTCF).

Regards,
    The deputies that took my application/photo were extremely helpful. They said I was "approved" but that the sheriff would read the letter and need to personally "investigate" me. I tried really hard not to roll my eyes.

Probably wasn't too hard for the Sheriff to roll his eyes when he read your letter.

(Westmoreland County)

If you visit Westmoreland County in Greensburg ,Pa just stop in the court house and go downstairs and fill out the paper work for non-resident and you will get it just by sitting and waiting. Sheriff Jonnathon Held is pro gun so no issues with him. If not, call into the court house and have them send out the paper work to you.
    I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one just in case trouble finds me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123