Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Non-Resident License to Carry Firearms

Hmmmm.... OK.

No explanation as to "why" is required. Issuing to non-res is provided for right in the statutes.

Same process as resident, except that proof of license in home state (if that state does issue) is required.

(Montgomery County)

My response to the request for a letter of justification would have been as follows:

Dear Sheriff:

As a courtesy, and despite the fact that your demand to do so is in violation of Pennsylvania preemption statute, I am writing in response to your stated, but unenforceable requirement for a written statement of justification to acquire a Pennsylvania non-resident license to carry a firearm.

Per the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act - Title 18 - Chapter 61, as a citizen of the United States and a holder of a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm in my state of residency, I am entitled to issuance of a Pennsylvania non-resident License To Carry a Firearm (LTCF) by any and ALL Pennsylvania County Sheriffs.

Enclosed is my payment of the Pennsylvania mandated fee, a completed and signed Pennsylvania State Police form SP4-127 and a copy of the valid LTCF issued to me by my state of residency. Provided I have no enumerated offenses or other disqualifying factors as evidenced by a PICS background check, you are required to issue me a Pennsylvania non-resident LTCF within forty-five (45) days of receipt of the hereinabove stated enclosures and fee payment.

I look forward to your timely issuance and my receipt of a Pennsylvania non-resident License To Carry a Firearm (LTCF).

Regards,

XXXXXXXXXX

Yeah. Thats gonna work.

(Montgomery County)

I'm sure it would

A PA Sheriff has no legal alternative and is now liable for plaintiff attorney fees and court costs associated with preemption violation litigation. Not to mention a potential 1st class misdemeanor charge and conviction.

Time to grow some and hold our elected civil servants to their oaths of office. Or I suppose we can just go along to get along, while continuing to whine and lament the deterioration of our rights. It's an individual choice. What's yours?

(Delaware County)

Technically you're wrong, in Philadelphia County the license is issued by the Philadelphia Police Gun Permit Unit, not the Philadelphia County Sheriff.

Quote Originally Posted by TMOwen5257 View Post
    My response to the request for a letter of justification would have been as follows:

Dear Sheriff:

As a courtesy, and despite the fact that your demand to do so is in violation of Pennsylvania preemption statute, I am writing in response to your stated, but unenforceable requirement for a written statement of justification to acquire a Pennsylvania non-resident license to carry a firearm.

Per the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act - Title 18 - Chapter 61, as a citizen of the United States and a holder of a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm in my state of residency, I am entitled to issuance of a Pennsylvania non-resident License To Carry a Firearm (LTCF) by any and ALL Pennsylvania County Sheriffs.

Enclosed is my payment of the Pennsylvania mandated fee, a completed and signed Pennsylvania State Police form SP4-127 and a copy of the valid LTCF issued to me by my state of residency. Provided I have no enumerated offenses or other disqualifying factors as evidenced by a PICS background check, you are required to issue me a Pennsylvania non-resident LTCF within forty-five (45) days of receipt of the hereinabove stated enclosures and fee payment.

I look forward to your timely issuance and my receipt of a Pennsylvania non-resident License To Carry a Firearm (LTCF).

Regards,

XXXXXXXXXX

(Montgomery County)

Technically, you're wrong, in Philadelphia County the license is issued by the Philadelphia Police Commissioner (Chief).

The PPD FU is merely a functionary of the Chief, and a SO firearm unit is a functionary of the Sheriff.

But I kind of think we're just splitting hairs here.

§ 6109. Licenses.

(a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.

(b) Place of application.--An individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply to a sheriff for a license to carry a firearm concealed on or about his person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth. If the applicant is a resident of this Commonwealth, he shall make application with the sheriff of the county in which he resides or, if a resident of a city of the first class, with the chief of police of that city.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TMOwen5257 View Post
    Technically, you're wrong, in Philadelphia County the license is issued by the Philadelphia Police Commissioner (Chief).

The PPD FU is merely a functionary of the Chief, and a SO firearm unit is a functionary of the Sheriff.

But I kind of think we're just splitting hairs here.

§ 6109. Licenses.

(a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.

(b) Place of application.--An individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply to a sheriff for a license to carry a firearm concealed on or about his person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth. If the applicant is a resident of this Commonwealth, he shall make application with the sheriff of the county in which he resides or, if a resident of a city of the first class, with the chief of police of that city.
    Hair splitting we are, however, the LTCF is not issued by the county sheriff, which was my point, and you don't go to the commissioners office, you go to the PPD gun permit unit.

5 days later and it showed up in the mail with a little note saying "we apologize for any inconvenience". Can't complain about that service.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornberg View Post
    5 days later and it showed up in the mail with a little note saying "we apologize for any inconvenience". Can't complain about that service.
    So, did you submit the letter or not? I am probably going to be doing the same thing later in December while back visiting family in Pittsburgh.

Just called today - individual who answered the phone said I was required to submit the letter as well. I informed him that wasn't part of PA state law - and he said it was part of the sheriff's discretion and if I didn't want to submit the letter I could go to another county. He then hung up.

Suggestions?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast