Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Question Legal Question About Camping In New York

The wife and myself are going camping in a couple of weeks in New York state. We are going to be way up state just outside of the Adirondack Park boundaries and will be on private property. My question is can I legally take a long gun? I will not be carrying it, but merely transporting in to the property and then back home.

Initially I was thinking about my shotgun, but mine has a pistol grip and adjustable stock, so I am pretty sure that is a no go. So now I am thinking either the Marlin 30/30 or Henry .22lr. If it is legal, I cannot fathom why either of those two would be a problem.

So in a recap; New York, private property, rifle with technology 150 years old. Legal?

Thanks for your help.

Shawn
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

(Centre County)

Default Re: Legal Question About Camping In New York

Quote Originally Posted by ATBackpackin View Post
    The wife and myself are going camping in a couple of weeks in New York state. We are going to be way up state just outside of the Adirondack Park boundaries and will be on private property. My question is can I legally take a long gun? I will not be carrying it, but merely transporting in to the property and then back home.

Initially I was thinking about my shotgun, but mine has a pistol grip and adjustable stock, so I am pretty sure that is a no go. So now I am thinking either the Marlin 30/30 or Henry .22lr. If it is legal, I cannot fathom why either of those two would be a problem.

So in a recap; New York, private property, rifle with technology 150 years old. Legal?

Thanks for your help.

Shawn
    how many rounds does henry and marlin holds?
    I would say its "LIKELY" legal, but with NY, you never know.
    My Ruger 10/22 with standard stock is sort of legal - it does have 10rounds rotaly mag. I was told its okay as long as you don't load more then 7. But my dedicated Ruger 10/22 target gun with heavy barrel and beautifully sculpted thumb holes bench shooting stock is considered as an "Assault rifle" by their law.
    I can't take H&R Survivor .410 single shot break action to NY, because they consider that a assault rifle, but its perfectly legal for me to take my Mossburg 930SPX with 7round tube to NY.

MAKES NO SENSE!

Anyway,my suggestion is to leave ANY firearm home. Just be on safe side.
    But if you must, I'd suggest calling 1-855-LAW-GUNS(http://www.governor.ny.gov/nysafeact/gun-reform). Tell them what your thinking about bringing. They will tell you if you can or not.
    (But I'd take their info with grain of salt. They told me its perfectly legal to bring my Mosin Nagant M44 to NY. Lady said its legal eventho it has a permanently attached bayonet, because its not semi auto. I called NY state police troop C HQ in Unadilla NY. Officer I talked to said M44 is infact illegal because it has 1 of the banned feature regardless of semi auto or not. basically, no one really knows nothing)

So I stopped going to camping in NY altogether.
    Its not worth the possible headach when there are MANY places in PA that I can go instead
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(York County)

Talking Re: Legal Question About Camping In New York

Be careful about the number of tent poles you use per tent. I hear anything over 6 tent poles per tent has been outlawed. Just sayen.
    Lower your expectations to zero and you'll never be disappointed.

(Bucks County)

My question to you is....is it worth the hassle?

(Chester County)

Well the reason we are going to New York is because one, it's our own land, and two we are visiting her grandparents.

Her other grandfather gave her 45 acres up there. Amazingly beautiful land with a small river running through it and way off the beaten path. She even wants to move up there, but I said there is no way. Unfortunately we do have to visit.

Normally I do not take any firearms, but this time we are camping. I would like to have some sort of defense not only from two legged animals, but we are also taking our three dogs, two of which are rather small and would make a tasty treat for a predator.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

(Centre County)

Normally I do not take any firearms, but this time we are camping. I would like to have some sort of defense not only from two legged animals, but we are also taking our three dogs, two of which are rather small and would make a tasty treat for a predator.
    Well, sadly that's your first mistake.
    You have nothing to worry about when your up in NY. Because with NY Safe Act firmly in place, you can not possibly be attacked by anyone with weapon. NY criminals always follow the law, and have either sold off all the weapons out of state, or registered it.
    Only thing that your allowed to use is... well, harsh language(even that's iffy there).

When I go up there(wife's family live up there...), Im afraid to even carry a pocket knife...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    Well, sadly that's your first mistake.
    You have nothing to worry about when your up in NY. Because with NY Safe Act firmly in place, you can not possibly be attacked by anyone with weapon. NY criminals always follow the law, and have either sold off all the weapons out of state, or registered it.
    Only thing that your allowed to use is... well, harsh language(even that's iffy there).

When I go up there(wife's family live up there...), Im afraid to even carry a pocket knife...
    Yeah, they have ridiculous knife laws too. I think anything above 3 inches is bad.

(Dauphin County)

Sell the 45 acres in USSNY and buy land in PA to camp/ hunt/ be free on.

Problem solved!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Totez View Post
    Sell the 45 acres in USSNY and buy land in PA to camp/ hunt/ be free on.

Problem solved!
    Amen to that.. For what NY real estate buys/sells for, you can probably get twice as many acres in PA for what the 45 NY acres sells for. ...at 1/10 to 1/2 the tax millage.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Well the reason we are going to New York is because one, it's our own land, and two we are visiting her grandparents.

Her other grandfather gave her 45 acres up there. Amazingly beautiful land with a small river running through it and way off the beaten path. She even wants to move up there, but I said there is no way. Unfortunately we do have to visit.

Sell the 45 acres and buy another 45 or maybe even more here in the United States

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast