Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Trouble with XD-S 9mm?

Hello all,

Being playing around my new Springfield XD-S, since i am fairly new to semi-auto pistols, I have been using snap caps to get my self use to and learn the pistol.

I have been issues with getting the first round (snap cap) to chamber properly, when I do try to chamber the first round, the round gets jammed and the pistol will not go back into full battery. Now here is what is interesting..... this issue will only happen with one of the 9 round mags, the other mags do not produce this issue.

Any thoughts?.... i should also mention the 2 mags that work fine have been sitting for about a week fully loaded.

Thanks,
    Dan

(Washington County)

Default Re: Trouble with XD-S 9mm?

Hello again........ I think I may have answered my own question, upon further review and I think have the answer .... on the XD-S I think i have to press the slide button down and let the slide "slam" forward instead pulling the slide back to release, unlike the glock.

Any comments for owners of the XD-S?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by zerofloat857 View Post
    Hello again........ I think I may have answered my own question, upon further review and I think have the answer .... on the XD-S I think i have to press the slide button down and let the slide "slam" forward instead pulling the slide back to release, unlike the glock.

I don't own a XDS, but I was just about to say that the slide might not be traveling fast enough when you hand cycle. If you take it to the range and it shoots a full mag without any problems, then I wouldn't worry about it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zerofloat857 View Post

Exactly, slide needs slingshotting for sure....Great Gun...but not a Glock in that sense. Glocks you can just ease a round in.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Tioga County)

I saw one last year with an issue going completely into battery. It would get hung up right at the end, almost so that unless you were looking at it closely you couldn't tell. There are videos of it on youtube. There are a lot of theories on it, machining errors or something.

I had a thread on it here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/22...ilure-rtb.html

The gun went back to Springfield for the recall and was shot after that, but I think for over 6 months it hasn't been fired as all confidence was lost in it and it just sits there and probably will until it's sold someday or the box collects dust for a few decades.

I owned the 45 and now have the 9mm. I typically sling shot the slide, but have also just dropped the slide via the slide stop. Never had an issue with either going into full battery. If it's just with the one magazine, I would suspect an issue with that mag and not the weapon.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Lehigh County)

With the short stroke and fairly steep angle the bullet uses to get into the chamber, if you try and slingshot the slide but end of riding the slide forward a bit you will have issues chambering.

Drop the slide release or slingshot it correctly and you will most likely not have the issue. Short gun + steep feed angle + heavy spring.

From a firing standpoint mine has been completely reliable and has yet to show a single feed or eject stoppage.