Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Canadian Man Acquitted of Killing Officer

This is a strange one, Police use battering ram to break down the door of the wrong house, owner defends his family, wounds one officer and kills another. He didn't realize they were cops until he had killed the one!

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/st...rticlecomments

Seems the warrant was also illegal but the judge kept that out of the court.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Canadian Man Acquitted of Killing Officer

a shame shit like this happens, but you shouldn't go barkin' on the wrong man's door!

kinda like how ambulance/emt/paramedics go to the wrong address and the person dies waiting..
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Lancaster County)

That's nuts. Can't say I wouldn't react the same. Especially on a no knock warrant...

This is a strange one, Police use battering ram to break down the door of the wrong house
    I don't see this information made clear in the article you linked:
    "entered Parasiris's Brossard home with a battering ram during a botched drug raid."
    "Cournoyer also declared the warrant police used to enter the home to be illegal"

(Berks County)

I found this quote in the article from the chief of police

"Laval police Chief Jean-Pierre Gariépy expressed dismay at the decision, and reiterated the reason his officers entered Parasiris's home in the first place.

"Beyond the verdict, it is useful to remember that Mr. Parasiris had four firearms in his home and only one was legally registered," Gariepy told a news conference Friday night. "We found a variety of drugs and 17 cellphones and pagers in the home."

in other words we would have raided the place anyways.......

someone get Mssr Gariepy a diaper his butt is still showing.
    gotta love her ;)

It's good to see that no police department learned any lessons from Waco, which could have been avoided a dozen different ways but none of them looked to be as photogenic as using 100 guys from the ATF SWAT team. Too many cops are still adrenaline junkies, who prefer the dynamic entry over the boring "surround the car while he's commuting to work" scenario.

If there are hostages in the building, or the terrorists are about to complete the nuclear weapon, then sure, break out the battering ram and have at it.

But when you suspect there are drugs in the house today, and there were drugs in the house yesterday, and there will be drugs in the house tomorrow, then there's no necessity in any country whose government pretends that the citizens are sovereign, for a no-knock raid while the occupants are asleep. No drug dealer is going to routinely flush his stash every time that he goes out to gas up the car or drive to work, so when he leaves there will be evidence in the house. Make the arrest outside, then enter the house. I doubt that the wife and kids are going to flush Daddy's expensive nose candy.

We should not live in a society where cops are bullies and judges issue warrants to their buddies based on vague allegations from anonymous informants. If any of us are subject to these bogus home invasions, then we all are subject to them. If there are marked police cars in front of my house, and uniformed officers knock on my door with a warrant, then they get to come in. Anyone who could be MS-13 gangbangers looking for cash or guns or someone to terrorize gets treated differently. ANYBODY can yell "Police!" and flash a tin badge, that doesn't automatically make me put my head in the noose. Cops should act like the professionals they all claim to be, and some are. If masked ninja-wanna-be's smash through my door and come running up my stairs at 3 AM, they have a pretty good chance of hearing what an FN-FAL sounds like from the muzzle end.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It's good to see that no police department learned any lessons from Waco, which could have been avoided a dozen different ways but none of them looked to be as photogenic as using 100 guys from the ATF SWAT team. Too many cops are still adrenaline junkies, who prefer the dynamic entry over the boring "surround the car while he's commuting to work" scenario.

If there are hostages in the building, or the terrorists are about to complete the nuclear weapon, then sure, break out the battering ram and have at it.

But when you suspect there are drugs in the house today, and there were drugs in the house yesterday, and there will be drugs in the house tomorrow, then there's no necessity in any country whose government pretends that the citizens are sovereign, for a no-knock raid while the occupants are asleep. No drug dealer is going to routinely flush his stash every time that he goes out to gas up the car or drive to work, so when he leaves there will be evidence in the house. Make the arrest outside, then enter the house. I doubt that the wife and kids are going to flush Daddy's expensive nose candy.

We should not live in a society where cops are bullies and judges issue warrants to their buddies based on vague allegations from anonymous informants. If any of us are subject to these bogus home invasions, then we all are subject to them. If there are marked police cars in front of my house, and uniformed officers knock on my door with a warrant, then they get to come in. Anyone who could be MS-13 gangbangers looking for cash or guns or someone to terrorize gets treated differently. ANYBODY can yell "Police!" and flash a tin badge, that doesn't automatically make me put my head in the noose. Cops should act like the professionals they all claim to be, and some are. If masked ninja-wanna-be's smash through my door and come running up my stairs at 3 AM, they have a pretty good chance of hearing what an FN-FAL sounds like from the muzzle end.
    I hear you on the last sentence !! Actually the rest of your post also !!

If someone enters my house considering the Business I own and operate, they are getting opened up on !! Thats just plain and simple, unless I am 1000% positive it is the POLICE !! I own and operate several Bail Bonds, so between rearresting someones family member for Failing to appear on my Bond could be reason for them to extract revenge, thus is why I am ever vigilant, I have a wife and Three kiddies to protect and would do anything to protect them !!

(Monroe County)

While I have to say good that he got off its also a bit amusing how the illegal warrant got blown over, the incorrect raid got blown over and all that came out was "well yeah but he had bad stuff too!"

dumbass
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Bucks County)

First an foremost in this clusterfuck, life was lost. I feel for the cop's family that a very stupid mistake cost this guy his life.

I'm thankful that it wasn't an even bigger tragedy . . . police no knock wrong house and mistakenly shoot/kill homeowner defending his family from intruders.

People have already done the job of criticizing and villifying the po po on this one, so I'll just commend the Canadian justice system for not punishing a guy doing right by his family.

Will this be on Quebec Cops? "Bad boys, Bad boys, Whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for . . . your neighbor but mistakenly invade your home flashing guns."

I pray the shooter can live with himself. He did nothing wrong with shooting itself, but I do wonder if he was defending his family or his stash.
    Last edited by Cole; June 21st, 2008 at 08:43 AM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    a shame shit like this happens, but you shouldn't go barkin' on the wrong man's door!

kinda like how ambulance/emt/paramedics go to the wrong address and the person dies waiting..

1st that aint our fault. We get the address from the county 911 center. What are we supposed to do, but go to that house. 2nd I don't think they are as similar as you make them out to be. The police have to obtain a warrant, do recon, and take several other steps, at any one of which an error could occur and apparently does. But they also have more checks and balances than we do. 911 gets a phone call " I have chest pain", where do you live? Oh okay the ambulance is on the way. So how is it my fault as the EMS crew that the address we recieved is wrong.
    3%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast