Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default When a belly gun isn't just a belly gun.

Im talking 38 snubbies here. "Belly gun", "up close and personal", "shtf" or whatever you refer to it as, snubbies are generally considered short range defensive guns. I had mine out today with a mix of factory ammo. FMJs, lead reloads and HPs. I started close, about fifteen feet and cut out the center ring. Then did the same with my 4 and 6 inch 357s. Next sets were shot from sixty feet with the 357s. All shots hit on a 12 by 12 inch target grouping but not as tight as I wish they were. After a few volleys I load up the snubbie for laughs and shoot from the same sixty foot mark. Same results as the others. 20 out of 20 on paper, groups but with flyers. I know this is not long distance but its not belly range either. I probably have never tried to shoot it that far out since I actually learned how to shoot. Im pretty impressed with the little thing. This is in no way a brand comparison thread but the guns involved were a Smith model 19, four inch 357, Ruger GP100 6 inch 357 and Taurus 85UL, 38 snubbie.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Default Re: When a belly gun isn't just a belly gun.

Default Re: When a belly gun isn't just a belly gun.

I'm not sure that the range you can hit a piece if paper is what is considered to be effective. They're called belly guns for up close and personal work back in the day when the micro 380 and 9mm pistols were not available. Also the effective range of a 38 out of a snubbie isn't much more than a few yds. I do believe that a shot from a snub will do its job at 20yds but the effectiveness of the bit if not on heart or spine isn't great.
    I too like to shoot mine at greater distances than 3-5 yds but I practice for 7yds and less when I actually train with it. I've actually gotten pretty good with my LCR and TCP at 7yds.